Saturday, February 24, 2007

Because My Personal Crises is Very Interesting



I know I shouldn't write about the frustrations and low points of what I do here... enough people that I work with or want to work with read it... and that can just be... awkward.

I saw DCeiver last night and he mentioned that I sounded blue on my blog. DCeiver was great, by the way, in the fun and fabulous Rough Magic over at Rorschach which I finally saw last night. And I got to sit next to his lovely wife without even knowing it.

So right. Blue. Not so much blue. At the time maybe minor existential crises. And I'm not being overly dramatic here. It was quite simply the market economy realization of, if what I am selling is not what people want to buy than maybe I shouldn't be selling it. Because HANDS is definitely the kind of product I want to create, and therefore sell. Because ultimately--we gotta right? We have to sell the tickets. I mean, if a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it... right?

And I am fully aware that it means nothing to anybody if I say I am in love with this production because of course I am going to say that, I directed it. But those of you who know me know that I am the worst critic I could ever hope to have.

The existential crises did pass. I wish I could say I got over it on my own. I didn't. It took other's words to get me there. How tethered we are in this business to the words of others.


But then it became frustration. Because I wish I could say I didn't care anything about reviews. And I kind of don't now--not as a judgment of my worth, and that's a big step for me--but they are still so powerful in terms of getting people into a theater. Press in general. And that is what frustrates me. How do we set up a network where that all doesn't matter as much?

That's the question of the day.

I know, I sound art-y and angst-y and I so would not want to hang out with me if I were you right now.

3 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you should channel your inner W and ignore the crazy rantings of the liberal media.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger hpmelon said...

Some theatre is an aquired taste. Just because a few individuals did not take to the work with the same adoration that you or I did, does not mean it is suddenly banned material. Give the wordsmiths of contemporary playwriting a chance to grow on our community. Hands is a difficult introduction to Callaghan, as it is not very mainstream, and the language can be a stumbling block for many. But her work is solid and the language is it's strength, and given the opportunity audiences will understand the music she is making.

Take heart in the fact that you work with a company that agrees with your taste and believes in it enough to produce it.

 
At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

argh.
yeah, working at the box office has taught me the immensely god-like power of the Positive Post Review. It's ludicrous how many long-time theatergoers here will wait and see whether it's a yea or nay. But it kinda makes sense, since our tickets are fifty bucks a pop. At a smaller theater, I'd wish that people were more willing to take a chance with their ten dollars. A review is so subjective... I've had close friends hate shows that I've loved, and had no idea why.
blah blah blarg,
I'm coming this week.. when are you free to get drinks afterwards?

g

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter