Friday, February 23, 2007

It's Something, At Least

(I wrote this ages ago.)

Update on all things printable

I've let so much slide. Where to start.

My parents were in town last weekend. It was a great visit--they saw the show, they had lots of smart questions and reactions over beers at Marty's, Sunday we went to the Joseph Cornell exhibit then Children of Men then dinner at Zaytina. It was everything I've been wanting to do for weeks in one day: A museum, a movie, and chi-chi middle eastern food. If I'd gotten to smooch at the end, it would have been a perfect date.

I also had the embarrassing realization that I live in a city with slews of the nation's best museums--all free--and I only make it to an exhibit when my parents are passing through town.

Lame.

The Post review also came out that day. It was good to have them around to put out some minor emotional fires. I'm not going to grace that with too much attention, the whole thing is yet again baffling. More than anything it made me question whether there is a market for what I am trying to sell, and if there is not--should I just step aside and let other people do it?

The upside is, we have still been getting good houses and the reactions I am getting from people are reassuring.

The week itself was covered in a wintry mix--of rehearsals, valentines day, meetings, a couple of shows, and catch-ups with friends.

I saw Orson's Shadow and really enjoyed it. Was so not geared up for a show, dragged myself there, and proceeded to be moved, amused, impressed and inspired. Go figure. Austin Pendleton was there to see the show, saw him buzzing around the lobby looking a little scattered and confused. It brought me back to summer of 1995--I was living in Chicago and I saw Mr. Pendleton in his show at Steppenwolf. My how time does fly.

Saw Lear on Saturday--probably not the best Lear to see when seeing Lear for the first time, but there were indeed some visually stunning moments and really gutsy performances. I'm just not sure how the whole thing was supposed to add up.

Also had designer meetings to gear up for Dali. I'm very excited about how that whole team is shaping up.

And Darwin is going well--despite a vicious time-crunch that we are all feeling. I dig my actors--who are good and smart and quick and absolutely relentless teasers. It reminds me of being around my brother. In a good way.

In other news, I have been eating lots and lots of terrible food, which was so not the plan for 2007.

And the action for the month is: To confront things head on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter