Tuesday, October 24, 2006

One Thankful Woman (No Angry Men)


They let me out at 2pm.

Lalalalalalalalalalalalalala.

No voi dire. Just 2 and a half hours (not counting lunch) of waiting in lines and then watching MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING in the juror's lounge.

Each time they called a series of names I'd get a little rush of hope in my chest (maybe I'll get out today and not be on a jury!) which I'd then quickly suppress knowing that according to the way my life works, merely thinking such thoughts would curse me to a month long trial.

Can you be assigned to month long trials as a petit juror?

If you are six foot five are you still a petit juror?

And then at 2pm - a list of last names - all starting with "S" (Strange, right? No "S"s will serve in the District of Columbia today! We decree it!) - mine, miraculously pronounced correctly, to report to the jurors office. Where they relieved us of both our badges and our juror duties.

Someone smiled nicely upon me today.

And don't get me wrong, I am all about civic duty. But it was only five years ago that I gave three weeks of my life to a trial, and right now I don't have that time (or money) to spare.

That's it. No more about jury duty. Evah. I promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter