Sunday, October 15, 2006

Soft and Squishy

I just inhaled Chinese food, which I very rarely feel compelled to do. It might be because I finally started reading this, our next book club book, and the protagonist keeps talking about
the amazing udon he gets at a "diner" in Takamatsu, Japan.

Yes, that's right. I ate Chinese food because I was thinking about Japan.

And I purchased said Chinese food (steamed tofu and vegetables - boring Chinese food at that) at a restaurant called "Asian Bistro" in the great land of Silver Spring which boasts above all a giant astro turf lawn and a shiny manufactured main street filled out with Panera, Red Lobster and Macaroni Grill.

Pretty American that I am.

Anyhow.

I made a quick trip up to New York over the weekend and saw this and this.

I thought The Thugs showcased good work all around, it just felt a bit... fleeting, I guess. I ran into my costume designer from Lunch at the show, which was swell, and then had Belgian food in the West Village with a friend. All of the waiters had Belgian-French accents which, whether real or manufactured, was kind of impressive.

The Pain and the Itch was as worth seeing as everyone told me it was. I don't have anyone to talk to about it here though. With this kind of play that's kind of frustrating. There was one moment that I feel like I didn't fully get - maybe I wasn't supposed to - but it's driving me kind of nuts because I really want to hear what other people thought about it.

Design and direction were pretty darn impeccable.

AND - I have to say this. Whoever chose the seats when they were remodeling the mainstage space at Playwrights knew what they were doing. These are the most comfortable seats in a theater I have ever, ever experienced. And sadly, I remember these things. They like, melt to fit your body.

Although, because they are vinyl-y type material, they are a little bit noisy when you move. But who needs to move when you are so darn cushioned. Fuck suffering for our art. Give me comfortable seats. Hpmelon would love them.

Interestingly, it looks like the seats in the second stage "studio" space are the exact opposite (I've not been inside.)


What's that all about?

3 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were in Silver Spring and didn't call??? I'm insulted!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger playfulinnc said...

Funny, I just finished "Hardboiled Wonderland" by the same author and am itching to read more! Let me know what you think of it!

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger SAS said...

Sadly, I'm in Silver Spring a lot. Yes - let's hang. Single boys or no single boys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter