Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Do You Know Where Your Cat Is?


My thoughts so far about KAFKA ON THE SHORE:

It’s engaging. It’s unpredictable – I have no idea where the story is going. The language is not at all flowery or poetic, very clean, sometimes a bit too much so, almost removed and not used (so far) to any great effect like in NEVER LET ME GO (the last book I read, not for the book club) where the distancing effect made it all the more moving.

We’ll see. I want to keep reading at least.

Cat lovers – beware. There is some guts and gore involving felines that you all might not dig so much.

Other news:

I finally bought this month’s AMERICAN THEATRE and read the Jen Men interview. It is really wonderful. As a friend of mine said; you can’t read it without hearing Jennifer’s voice in your head. The Vivian quote is priceless. You can read it here.

But if you actually buy the magazine you get the bonus finds of an article written by one Mr. Posner (which I haven’t yet read) and great images of the lovely Aubrey Deeker and the radiant Michael Escamilla.

I love it. Totally American Theatre pinup boys.

There was a fire at the Folger. They had to cancel six performances. I’ve been helping out with calling people to get them to switch/return/donate their tickets. It's been quite a week for them. So if you know someone who works there – be particularly nice to them. It’s only when something like this happens that you realize how tenuous all of our work actually is.

I’m working on something for Extreme Exchange, finally. So I can put my money where my “we don’t do enough politicized performance here in our nation’s capital” mouth is. Come see it if you are not already involved.

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter