Thursday, September 28, 2006

"I read to fly, to skim - I do not read to swim"

Somehow I got into my head this idea of going back up to New York this weekend.

The festival is having its closing night party and I really want to see The Pain and the Itch at Playwrights Horizons. So I started thinking if I went up Saturday afternoon and then saw a matinee on Sunday and then headed home I could...

But I can't. I live here. I need to stay here for a bit.

It's okay. I just need to readjust to everything.

We had our first (inner drum roll please) BOOK CLUB MEETING last night. This is a very exciting thing for me. It is such a fabulous normal people thing to do. I gathered with three and a half (my cousin joined us late) smart and lovely women and we discussed our first pick BLINDNESS. We drank wine and ate cheese and cookies and microwavable spinach-artichoke dip.

Really, the evening was divine.

We discussed the book for most of the time which I was very impressed with.

Our next pick is KAFKA ON THE SHORE.

Half the fun is the anticipation of what the next book is. We decided that my suggestions were the most potentially depressing of the bunch. It's a hard habit to break.

I am now immersed in NEVER LET ME GO which is beautiful and from what people tell me will eventually break my heart.

Which is, of course, exactly what I need right now.

8 Comments:

At 4:15 AM, Blogger Missy La Roo said...

Woohoo, I luv bookclubs! Kafka On the Shore seems hot right now; will you be posting something about it later? ~cheers.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

Come to NYC! The party is kinda' lame, but go with castmates -- I ran into Tara last night on the "F" ... come to NYC. See "Itch" ...

DO IT!

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger SAS said...

broke broke broke broke broke broke.

seriously.

broke broke broke broke broke broke broke.

maybe next weekend.

miss you.

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you keep leaving, how can we drink?????

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this thing seriously hates me.
and ummm...it's almost time for season 2. that's a whole weekend in itself.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

broke broke broke???

Hmmmmm.... how much is a bus ticket?? When is the party??

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger SAS said...

It's okay. I should stay in town for other reasons too. I'll come up next weekend, or the one after that. Would love to see you.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

I. NEED. To. Be. In. A. BookClub.

although for a split second, i thought about making fun of you for being a NERD.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter