Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Grammatical Infractions

I'm the proud owner of my third ipod in less than two years. I finally made it to the genius bar, said genius hooked me up. Said applecare warranty actually hooked me up, but I like to think it was because I made said genius smile with my banter about the sad ipod man.

No - he wasn't just humoring me!

You never really realize how much you missed your ipod until you have it back.

Ever make a mix for someone then do a good listen and realize that you have compiled the most depressing mix of sad/angry/melancholy/heartfelt girl-y songs ever? That happened to me this morning. I'm going to shake things up a bit before I burn it so it's not a crying into your pillow dripping tears into your journal mix.

This weekend I made it to the new Trader Joe's. There's an article about it
in the Post today. Remember the first time you heard about Trader Joe's? I do. My friend Lis had moved out to the West Coast after school and was east visiting me in New York (she'd driven back cross country). She had all these Trader Joe simmering sauces in her car. I think she used one at my apartment.

I didn't quite get the appeal then but now I'm pretty converted. The store is kind of made for me. I love condiments. Marinades, tapanades, hummus, dipping sauces, spicy mustard, plum sauce, mole, fancy vinegars - you name it. Yes, totally a ketchup on my eggs kind of girl. And hot sauce. (A friend of mine had a theory that the world is divided into two kinds of people - those who put ketchup on their eggs and those that couldn't imagine doing it.)

And Trader Joe's has it all.

This whole
Foley thing is getting more ridiculous (and admittedly, disturbing) by the hour. Did anyone see the note the Post published written to former page Mark Beck-Heyman (I can't find an image of it on the web though I'm sure it's out there)? Was anyone else bothered by the fact that a congressman spelled busy "buzy" and substituted "your" for "you're" twice?

Well, it bothered me. Because young-boy-hungry fellas are one thing but at least LEARN TO SPELL.

And your/you're substitutions should be automatic grounds for dismissal from any major leadership position. Seriously. It's/Its as well. At least in the world according to Citymouse.

Sarah Ruhl's EURYDICE got perhaps
the most consistently glowing review I have ever read from Isherwood. I wish I could make it up there to see it - New Haven is within an hour and change of my parents. But it closes too soon. I love the play, I'd love to see a fully realized production.

4 Comments:

At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mean, citymouse! We your/you're mixer-uppers are all around you, and we want leadership that understands are phonetic writing style and that won't judge us for our over-reliance on spell check... get off you're high horse! Its only grammar.

:)

seriously, though, who are these english professors and/or writers that we want running the country?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammar_nazi

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger The Deceiver said...

"This weekend I made it to the new Trader Joe's. There's an article about it in the Post today."

Wait. You're saying there's an article today about your visit to Trader Joes? That's so hot it leaves burns. I walk naked through the Taco Bell drive through and it only rates me a few terse, angry sentences in the Arlington Connection.

 
At 1:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend of mine (member of the TEAM) got up there to see it, her Beaux was the understudy. . .it's apparently pretty good, but hardly worthy of Isherwood's gushing. Everything the Times reviewed that day gushed. . . I think the arts section got a care package of 'mexican cigarettes' monday afternoon.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger damiansinc said...

I need to get me an Ipod.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter