Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Periodical Pinings

Okay, so yesterday I think I subscribed to four magazines and it's all supposed to be free. It happened because I ordered tickets through ticketmaster. I filled out their survey thing and suddenly the screen said - "You can pick up to four magazines to subscribe to for one year for free and pay only $2.00 shipping!!!!"

I'm usually extremely skeptical about any "free lunches" as it were, but I kept on going. I picked four magazines (Time, Newsweek. National Geographic Traveler and Spin) and went to the billing page. And I think I read all the small print and I think it still said I was only paying $2.00 per subscription (but oh goodness small print is so small so maybe I did miss something) and I DID put my credit card info in (you know, so they could actually charge me the $52.00 for Time) and it went through and I think it still said $8.00 total.

I think.


So could this be for real? Has anyone ever done this before?

Am I getting the deal of the century here? Or did I actually just pay $130.00 for magazines I don't really want or need?

In other news, this is what I was reading this weekend:

Charles Isherwood confirms once again that
what he likes best are directors and playwrights who keep their own damn hands out of the pot. I don't disagree with him - sometimes the best direction is the direction you don't even notice. And I for one am far from being an auteur. But this combined with all the other statements he has made this year just reinforces to me that he likes his theater artists to play nice. And sometimes, I think, that can be kind of boring.

A better than average
Modern Love (which hasn't happened in a while).

The Times
restates the obvious. When they got to the part where they were quoting twenty-year-olds about how much it hurt when their best friend started dating their ex-boyfriend in the eleventh grade my eyes started to ache from rolling so much. Really. Who cares?

Don't worry girls!
There's hope for us yet!

5 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Compassionate Creator here... I love free magazines... Don't fret, the idea is that you are going to love them so much that you will pay for them next time around... Then again, since they have your credit card number, they might just assume you love they're magazines and sign you up automatically... Mark your calender, July 4th, 2007 "Am I still Recieving Time magazine?"...

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

Yeah ... I ended up getting endless subscriptions to crap that kept "automatically" renewing.

Then there was the paper issue - volumes of magazines in the "Pindelski Reading Library" as my coffee table, toilet tank, and garbage cans began to be known.

Of course, I enrolled in 9 subscriptions, and then at 10 on a hung-over Saturday morning a Russian accented phone rep got my sleep-soaked-self into 9 more ... for a total of 18 subsciptions to ESPN, MAXIM and the like.

Mmmm. Maxim. Yay.

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check how long the subscription is for. It might be 3 or 6 months. If they send you a notice, it will be in the kind of nondescript, junk-mail looking envelope that you're likely to throw out without opening. Otherwise, they'll just put the full amount on your charge card when the introductory period is up.

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey - can I borrow the occasional Natty Geo Traveler when you're done with them? I'll pay you the two dollars.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger SAS said...

JD - Where can I find a practical hubby compassionate creator for myself now? Do I have to spend 8 years in grad school to come up with a gem like you?

JEMP - You subscribed to Maxim? For the articles?

Hil - Of Course! And don't you see? I get them all FREE. Everything FREE. Forever FREE. That's what they said anyhow...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter