Monday, May 29, 2006

Did Your Mother Teach You to Behave That Way?



I am actually at work on this fine memorial day. I have loads of work to do and figured I'd keep Miss Sarah company while doing it. Needless to say, I haven't actually started doing any WORK yet.

In honor of the holiday
read this. It's a great story, all about the people rather than the political mishigas or fucked up ideology or underhanded manipulations going on behind this ugly war we got ourselves into.

But enough on that.

The show closed last night to a sold-out house, which was, yes - great, but I dare say this audience was also the RUDEST AUDIENCE EVER.

Two cell phones, count them, two cell phones went off. The second one was truly the loudest ring I have ever heard in my life. The woman reached into her purse to get the phone out and turn it off, and unmuffled the thing could indeed wake the dead. Then first row house right there was this girl with glasses and curly hair and her short little red head hipster boyfriend with an empty water bottle in the second act:

Crinkle, crinkle.

Crinkle, crinkle.

Ummm, hello? We can see and hear you, you know. It's a very small theater. The light spills over into your row. I will remember your face and shame you the next time I see you.

I will. And I will enjoy doing so.

Crinkle, crinkle.

Then she drops it.

Kathunk, rolllllllllllll.

She looks at her boyfriend and giggles. Giggles!!! Then slumps down into him because maybe then the entire house won't see her.

Imbecile.

It was all
hpmelon could do after the show to hold me back from throttling her. But the lovely and talented Jen-Men more effectively shamed water-bottle girl after the show in the lobby by giving her the Jen-Men intense stare and crinkling her own water bottle several times.

Crinkle. Crinkle.

Crinkle, crinkle.

CRINKLE, CRINKLE.

And with that, water-bottle girl quietly slipped away into the darkness of H Street.

2 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger Artist In Transition said...

You forgot the slap fight in the front row at the top of Act II.

I am always amazed at the people who behave as if they are in their living rooms when out to the theatre.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger hpmelon said...

The show was wonderful. The crinkle and the ringing did not detract.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter