Friday, May 19, 2006

I Can Fondue - Part Two


Okay, if I don't get this done quickly I never will.

Sunday was brunch with my parents, huge amounts of Italian food, then this show, which a Louisville colleague directed. It was really wonderful. See it if you can. Especially anyone who has ever dabbled in the public school system. She's a wonderful performer.

That evening I went to see columbinus. It was marvelous to see DC folk like Karl and Jimmy, as well as several NCSA alum, doing such solid, committed work. I was very proud. The show has not officially opened yet but I am phenomenally curious as to how it will be received by New York (and yes, by the critics). As far as I can tell, it is anybodies' guess.

Had an unexpected encounter with my dean and assistant dean in the NYTW lobby which I was not entirely emotionally prepared for. Nonetheless, I was happy to see them both.

Beers in the east village then met B when he was out of work and had another beer and fondue at Blue Ribbon. (Dare I mention, I spent money like a rock star this weekend. Thankfully, due to the kindness of friends, the theater tickets were all free or very cheap.)

Then home and bed.

Monday I decided to go to the Museum of Natural History to see the Darwin exhibit. I'm directing a play next year about the relationship between Darwin and Fitzroy (who commandeered the five year trip on the HMS Beagle which proved to be life-altering for Darwin, and really, for the course of Biology). It seemed serendipitously appropriate to have this major exhibit all about Darwin about thirty blocks from where I was staying.

Of course, this was not incentive enough to get me out of the apartment before 2pm.

I got to the museum, waited in the wrong line twice, then finally got up to a ticket seller who told me that admission would cost $21 with the special exhibit (I didn't even ask how much it would be if I'd wanted to see the butterflies).

So I hemmed and hawed, and instead bought a ticket for the next morning, thinking, I will get my money's worth by spending five hours at the museum tomorrow! Ah silly short attention span girl, don't make me laugh.

So then it's 3:30. I'm meeting L for a coffee at 5:30. The weather is miserable, so what to do? I make a bunch of phone calls. I take the bus through the park to the upper east side. I window shop. I people watch.

I meander in the drizzle.

I do love New York.

(this will be done with soon, i promise)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter