Friday, May 26, 2006

That's What I Like About You

I'm applying for a couple of things right now that require letters of recommendation. The packet I'm putting together right now requests that, "if possible one should be from an industry professional".

Oh, really?

This is a director's lab type thing. Doesn't that kind of go without saying? Who else would I get to write it? My mother? My Uncle Pete? My boss at my day job in the collections department at a law firm?

"City Mouse is diligent and committed. She is very good at finding debtors who owe money and back rent. Therefore I think she is perfectly suited for your program."

I do get a little bit flummoxed when I have to fill these things out. For one, I never know who the PERFECT PERSON TO ASK FOR A RECOMMENDATION is. I get a little over-ambitious and start thinking, okay, who is the most important person in the theater world who has seen my work? Even if they know nothing else about me, even if we have only shaken hands once, or shared eight minutes worth of conversation, they are *important person in the theater world* and therefore, it will be impressive simply that they signed their name.

Of course, they would also be like "City Mouse who?" when I asked them.

Secondly, it reminds me of the time in my life right before college (when I was getting recommendations for college) and then the time right after college (when I was applying for a load of these sort of programs and internships.)

Thinking of those times in my life makes me a little bit queasy.

So, I hate it. I do. And I also think, people hate writing these things. They must. How can I ask *busy, important person* to write me a recommendation that I'll need in a week when *busy, important person* has lots of *busy, important things* to do?

I have written a few recommendations in my day. I actually enjoyed doing it. Because it felt like it was finally a chance to give back something to the actors that had done so much for me.


Okay. Do this. Ask someone. Now.

3 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Artist In Transition said...

My experience has been that most "busy and important people" in this business are only too happy to help others get ahead.

Or maybe I have just been lucky.

Good Luck!

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger DCepticon said...

You should consider forging something. I am sure you can get a piece of letterhead from some place and signatures are fairly easy to get. Just find the fund raising letter from whose ever theater you want the letter from, scan it and past it.
Not that I am urging you to forge something. You are too honest for that, but just let me know and I will make it happen. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger playfulinnc said...

I am so there, too! But, in the end, the right people will be happy to help, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter