Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Where I Reveal My Dorky Obsession With Musical Theater Once and For All



Last Sunday Ben Brantley wrote about the dying art form that is the musical theater in this country.

In the past when these kind of dire predictions have been made I would have said that the critics were overreacting. But when
Lestat, Tarzan, and Hot Feet all emerge in a period of just a few months - one begins to wonder if the new musical exists solely to challenge reviewers to see just how negative a review they are able to write.

With the meek excuse of scheudenfraude I have to admit I sort of love reading really, really bad reviews (as long as I have no personal investment in the show, of course). And with the trio named above, Brantley and Isherwood outdid themselves.

And it's easy to. Because these shows are bloated corporate endeavors. They have no soul attached. There is no reason to "feel bad" that a reviewer may be forever ruining the career of a young upstart composer who was weaned on Sondheim, or a shiny eyed lyricist who grew up idolizing Finn and has spent their life dreaming about writing the next great American musical.

Or if not a goal quite so lofty, simply dreaming of making people smile at the creation of a truly elegant rhyme. Or making them laugh with the achievment of a particularly smart and clever patter song.


Or simply making them feel something, anything, that is true and authentic. Good musical theater has the power to achieve that. When the equation is right and the symbiosis between story and words and music clicks - a musical (or play with music, or what have you) can twist something someplace inside you that words or music - on their own - fail to reach.

This just
opened in DC and it may be the first DC theater ticket I actually buy this year. I saw the show when it played in New York and was moved by a musical for the first time in a long time that evening (incidentally - the Sweeney Todd revival, while one admires the skill involved, left me totally cold).

So, what to do? Support young artists. See new musical theater. It may be awful but it just as well may be fabulous. And usually it will at least be authentic. And the tickets will be loads cheaper than a Broadway ticket.

See what's playing at the Fringe Festival here, or the one in New York, or at the Musical Theater Festival. See the show I am working on for some of these very festivals.

But more on that later.

6 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

Walk very carefully into the nycFringe and the Musical Theatre Festival.

Most of the mainstage shows are adaptations (I was part of one) that show little originality and are poising themselves for financial gain, not great art.

[TITLE OF SHOW] is the only one I can think of, out of last year's crop, that showed any invention and was more of a fringe-y piece than small capitalist venture.

Hell, there were more TV & Broadway vets in the Fringe and the NYMF than you could really count.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

PS -- my show was pretty anti-capitalist, so thankfully, I can discount myself from the second have of my comment about Fringe mainstage shows.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger SAS said...

Point taken JEMP. But it is all relative. And I have no problem with adaptations - not at all - as long as they reveal something new about the original source material.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger playfulinnc said...

I SO saw Lestat. God help me. I still want my money back. No one can save it.

Some day I hope to tell you about my first attempt at writing a musical (during the MFA days). Let's just say that my partner and I called it:

OVUM.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

A friend of mine played a singing ovum ... in San Francisco ....

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

here, here. that's why i'm having my birthday party the day of the tony awards. because i couldn't care less about the swill that calls itself original.

incidentally, i have an idea we should discuss....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter