Monday, April 10, 2006

Inner Monologue and Bad TV


Hmmmm. Transitions, transitions, transitions, transitions. If I were a transition what would I be? Wonder twin powers, form of, transition. If I were a transition and you were a lighting effect what kind of story would you tell about me? And how would sound be a part of this story-telling? And what do these transitions we speak of look like? What is their physical life?

This is why I go from being a relatively well-rounded person (maybe, sort-of) to the most uninteresting, self-absorbed, generally dull person possible when I am working on a show. I'm sorry. It doesn't make me fun to be around, I know.

And yet I am probably worse when I am not working on a show because then I just feel like a vestigial limb to the world.

Delightful.

So okay, I watched this on the TV at the gym this morning. Does anyone else find it a little disturbing that a former super model without any medical credentials is doing shows about eating disorders? At least for the portion I saw there was no recognition of the fact that Ms. Banks has spent most of her life in an industry that has done little else but enforce to young women that the ideal of beauty is a woman with the body of a pre-pubescent thirteen-year-old.

So the two girls I saw were both bulimic. And the one was on with her boyfriend, who realized she was bulimic and started crying when he talked about how helpless he felt about the situation. These are really big things, and so should be addressed in a private setting with a professional. The girl herself looked unshaken, her facade never cracked.

So then Tyra looked at her and said, "Look at you boyfriend. He is crying. That is a really hard thing for a man to do. So how does that make you feel?"

What?! This is lieu of professional help. Tyra Banks, ladies and gentlemen.

The next girl was still in highschool. She had been doing better about her bulimia but then the boy's soccer team had started a rumor that she slept around and had an std. Tyra had her look straight into the camera and say something like "I don't sleep around" to all the soccer boys. Tyra then looked straight at the camera and said, "She doesn't sleep around."

Highschool is a tough place to begin with. And this is supposed to help?

My feelings about talk shows are that if they owe up to being total mindless crap, then at least there is some honesty there. Like, Jerry Springer or Jenny Jones. But when they purport to actually be helping people - I mean, really? A public forum for extremely private matters is supposed to make things better? Really, really? Unless you are Oprah, you just don't have the resources to pull that off.

So says I.

1 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take a look at a few episodes of America's Next Top Model and you'll be even more creeped out. She sets a group of very young women against each other in a competition in which they are brutally criticized and then acts as therapist. I haven't watched enough to be positive, but I think a prerequisite for winning is having been reduced to tears on camera during a Tyra counselling session.
A few years ago she was bragging in her pr appearances that there was an orgy caught on camera that she had no idea about until she was editing the film after the competition ended. A group of young men had been brought to have dinner and a lot of alcohol in the quarters of the candidates and they all ended up in the hot tub with the camera operators catching everything. Unfortunately for Tyra, the Janet Jackson event happened before the episode got on the air and they had to tone everything down.
She also used to make them do nude, girl on girl photo shoots before the crackdown.
I'm amazed that she can pass herself off as a caring therapistish person. The people criticizing Dr. Phil need to go after her first--she's dangerous in her focus on "helping" vulnerable young girls.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter