Friday, March 31, 2006

If we're doing run-throughs then it must be Friday

I’m feeling very unconnected. My apartment lost its wireless signal and the phone service I get in here has gone from bad to worse.

Though not a whole lot of time for chatting anyhow.

Teched the ten-minutes yesterday. And it did indeed take 2 ½ hours. You’d think that would be excessive. But, in our defense, this is the probably the best produced ten-minute play in the history of theater. They all are. Actor’s Theatre sets you up, baby.

The set is more elaborate than most full lengths I’ve done.

So, ideally, we get a bunch of runs in today. I think that will be good for everyone.

Big party yesterday – two actually, the first thrown by rich corporate sponsor folk on the 25th floor of this building right near the river. It had a fabulous view that made me miss skyscrapers. You don’t realize how much you miss a real skyline until you find yourself envying the views of Louisville, Kentucky.

I know, George’s monument and all, but would it really matter if they threw a tall building or two downtown?

Mid-evening, George C. Wolfe was presented with a theater achievement award. He is from around Louisville and in his speech talked a bit about fleeing Kentucky early on in life, but later on knowing that he needed to be able to come back because we can never fully leave behind where we come from. I think there’s some truth to that. In odd, small ways I know that the quirks and idiosyncrasies that come with being an upstate New Yorker live on with me today. Not to mention the accent. Can’t ever fully leave that behind, try as I might.

Then another party back at the theater later at night. Again - great fun but I reach those moments where I am not only exhausted and brain dead but the volume of reveling suddenly ups a notch or two and communication becomes nearly impossible. I hit a wall around midnight and headed home.

So many interesting people here though: playwrights, dramaturges, directors, patrons and supporters… and everyone has a story. It’s great. It’s a good energy. Just a bit overwhelming at times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter