Monday, March 20, 2006

Big (Naked) Love

I'm back.

In Kentucky.

I don't know how people do the full fledged freelancing thing - as in, in a different part of the country every month or so. I find it overwhelming. And confusing. And a touch lonely I suppose.

But it is good to be back and settled. The trip was incredibly easy. I've now been through the Louisville airport three times. Three more times to go.

Being back as a real live director means I get a real live apartment. Compared to most of the places I have lived in my adult life it is positively palatial. Big, but, empty. Underfurnished. So the bedroom (which alone is the size of the studio in Capitol Hill where I lived for two years) has a bed and a dresser and that's it. I could choreograph an interpretative dance in the empty space in the bedroom. If I did that kind of thing.

The other news is the TV. I didn't have a TV in the place I was staying before. Which isn't a shock to the system because I don't actually have a TV at home. I mean, we have a TV but no reception. (Really, see, I know this is thrilling, but this is what happens when you have a three room apartment to yourself and you're living in Kentucky - life gets extremely mundane). But here there is a little bitty 12-inch TV. Which looks even smaller because the apartment is so big. So a tiny TV but ninety-eight channels.

It is all about contrasts here. Big space, one person. Large rooms, very little furniture. Small TV, too many channels.

Just like in the three bears, nothing is just quite right for the goldilocks with the mouse-y brown hair.

Tiny TV aside, I do get three different HBO's. And living in a constant state of no TV means that when I am around it I go a bit on overload. It happens at my parent's house as well (last time resulted in an unofficial Curb Your Enthusiasm marathon).

Right, so, Big Love is on tonight. It's interesting. And with more than its fair share of sex scenes. Bill Paxton gets lots of exposure.

Who knew bigamy could be so hot?

P.S. Coincidentally, my fortune cookie (read while watching Big Love and blogging because multi-tasking is good): "Four basic premises of writing: clarity, brevity, simplicity, and humanity." None of which I have just achieved. Maybe a touch of humanity.

1 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger hpmelon said...

If you have a chance, try and catch The Sopranos this week. It was very Willy Lowman. I loved it.

I like Big Love, and am definately interested in the story, but it has not grabbed me yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter