Friday, June 22, 2007

Not Quite Toxic

I'm actually stressing a little bit about the fact that I have a birthday in eight days. Not so much about the age thing, really, no. More about whether I want to try to do anything, furthermore if I should try to get up to NY. This should be a happy quandary, not a stressful one.

Don't we just stop celebrating birthdays, eventually?

I just looked at my evite history to see how formally I approached festivities last year. It doesn't look like I sent out an evite.

Did you know Evite has a record of all of the invitations you've ever received? It's kind of cool. A very visual walk down memory lane.

I received my first evite in July 2001. This was right before I moved to DC. The party was being thrown by the sister of the guy I was dating at the time. She lived on the Lower East Side so the idea was that everyone was supposed to bring a dish that reflected their ethnic heritage (as if we all lived in tenements, natch).

That was my one attempt to make cannolis. I don't think they were very good.

Anyhow, it was a fun party even though I didn't really know anybody. Cory Booker was invited but I don't remember him attending. He was friends with the female business partner of the guy I was dating, or else was dating her, or something. It's all kind of blurry now.

The guy I was seeing was a good date, though never cut out to be a boyfriend. Which was fine--I knew I was leaving at that point and had recently watched the demise of my first serious relationship--something I thought I was totally fine with but later it hit me harder than my twenty-six-year-old-bravado-filled self wanted to admit. New guy and I went to a lot of nice restaurants and movies, and kept things pretty light.

One night we were eating at the restaurant in the Hudson Hotel (incidentally, I just googled "restaurant hotel escalator new york 58th street" because I couldn't remember the name of the place but had a very specific image of the escalator. Hundreds of listings correctly identifying the place came up. Google really is an amazing thing.)

We had both ordered iceberg wedge salads with Maytag blue cheese. Maytag was really big then. Maytag mac and cheese. Maytag with poached pears. Maytag martinis.

I was talking about DC, getting advice about where to live, where not to live, and about cool restaurants, etc. as he had lived there for a couple of years in the mid-90s. I think he was telling me about Grill from Ipanema (I've still never been) as he was a big fan of Latin American fare.

I remember I said, "You'll have to show me when you come through town!"

He paused, mid-bite, Maytag perched on his lower lip.

"Ummm, I thought you understood. I really don't do the long-distance thing well. So, well, I don't do it at all."

I did understand. While we'd not quite had this conversation, I was very much on board for a summer romance. But I'd also assumed we would remain some version of friends come fall.

"But, you go to DC on business all the time. You wouldn't want to, like, get dinner sometime when you come through town? You wouldn't call me?"

He chewed his iceberg slab. Swallowed. Smiled. Creamy blue on his bottom incisor.

"Right, of course. I will totally call you. Right! That would be fun! I just didn't want you to get the wrong idea. I wanted to make sure we were on the same page. I didn't want to mislead you."

Swallow.

"But if we're all clear, then fantastic. Let's absolutely stay in touch. Right. On."

I'm making him sound worse than he was. But the point is this, fellow was a good guy, no--a great guy--super smart, well-traveled, attractive, generous, and a kind human being. He was also one of those eternal bachelor guys. Really, he was, it wasn't just that I wasn't cool enough (maybe it was a little bit that) but I could tell by the descriptions of his last few relationships that he bounced a lot, and that none of the women he'd dated were ever quite right.

Because he wasn't at a stage in his life where he wanted to do any work to make something right.

And why should he? He had a life he liked. Financial security, a sexy job, a great West Village apartment, a busy social life, family and friends, and a full head of hair. He was also from southern california, which I have to say I think had something to do with him being the most angst-free jewish man in New York. It was unusual.
So why make room for someone else?

I was having this conversation with CP the other night (see! I write about you on my blog!) Guys like this will endure for years, decades even, perfectly content with the eternal bachelor lifestyle. And then one day they'll decide they don't want that anymore and without fail--give them three months and bam they'll be engaged. It's like a switch turns on in their heads which makes them decide to commit to something, to try and make something work, that the gains of that might actually outweigh the sacrifices.

Women do it too, I am sure. It just seems like a more classically male thing.

In cases like this, it really, truly is not *us* it is most definitely *them*.

Epilogue:
Maytag man and I exchanged a handful of emails in the first month or so after I moved. We talked on the phone on 9/11. I think that was the last time we spoke.

I just googled him. He lives in Texas where he works for a big company that bought out the smaller company he started. It sounds like a really cool job. He also gives speeches about internet marketing around the country. From the sounds of it, he's not yet married.

He'd make a great catch for some woman in Texas.

If he's flipped the switch.

3 Comments:

At 1:21 AM, Blogger blog prince said...

mmmmm. . . male or female. . . it's probably never just a switch . . . probably always something more. . . it's never *us* or *them*. . . never black or white. . .it's always a combination of both. . . a messier, cloudier grey. . . obscuring the moment in time

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger SAS said...

I disagree. I think sometimes it is a "switch", metaphorically at least. And on occaision, it definitely is them and not us. And every once in a while, it is black and white. Sometimes it just is. Not everything is all that deep. Eternal bachelors are eternal bachelors. Serial monogomists are serial monogomists. These terms are recognizable because they fit the bill. People can change. But at that moment in time a spade is a spade is a spade.

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger blog prince said...

Yes and no.

Switch metaphorically maybe yes. Eternal bachelors are eternal bachelors maybe so. Same with S.M. And maybe where we differ is that I wonder and ask why? What makes a person that way? Individually, familially, societally, culturally, pyschologically? What shapes that?

Maybe it can never be answered.

If it is just surface, if it is just a switch, then nothing has really changed. And the deciding or the flipping of the switch, or engagement after three months or even marriage does not mean the person in question is any more committed to making something work or to sharing their life with someone. I'm not a betting man, but smart money is on it not working out in such a case. Give it 3 to 5 years tops. In this case a spade is a spade is a spade.

If it is more than just a switch, then it's an accumulation of basically a lifetime of things and perhaps one small or last thing or event set off the balance and in turn "flipped" the switch. But take out any of those accumulated things and events, and balance doesn't flip the switch. They're all essential.

If it's just matter of flipping a switch then these people are shallow. Or maybe a better word is callow.

But everyone has an unconscious.

Dinners and movies and good dates are the icing, nay, the "dressing" that we put upon casual relationships to make ourselves feel better and to make the rather raw, green, leafy, tasteless unappetizing truth of what these relationships are easier to swallow, even in our morally relativist age. Sure, we may enjoy one another's company, else why spend time with someone? But let's face it, at least from a male point of view it's pretty much about one thing. For the bachelor(ette). Maybe that's cynical. Just as feigning interest or true commitment for six or nine months or whatever is dressing for the S.M.

Maytag man may have in all other ways have appeared to have been and maybe even really was angstless in just about all areas -- except in the one where it really counts in this conversation -- sharing his life with and committing to do so with someone other than himself. All kinds of angst there -- for whatever reason -- undertandable or no, conscious or no.

But just because someone is shallow (or shallow in one area) doesn't mean that they lack depth, only that they aren't aware of it or open to it or afraid or unsure or insecure about swimming in it. To believe otherwise is to dehumanize and trivialize.

So, in a way, of course, it isn't "us." It is "them." And in that moment a spade is a spade is a spade. But that doesn't take "us" out of the equation. (1+0=1). 'Cause "us" is in that moment, too. And it might behoove "us" to ask why. Particularly if we keep finding "us" in the same type of moment/equation. Then it is indeed very much about "us" as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter