Saturday, June 09, 2007

Can You See In The Dark?



Everyone is moving.

I did last month, the equestrian is stretching it out over the next week or so (that’s it, that’s the moniker) and Skids and Katie C. just moved over the hill and dale, a couple of days ago. I was not around to help during the day but later in the evening, when the equestrian got out of his show and I could escape work after eleven hours (no joke—much make up time to be done for hours lost at the beach) we headed over to inaugurate the new place.

It was a pretty bizarre evening.

At some point in the night glow sticks were snapped, the lights went out, and we boogied away to most of the Michael Jackson’s Thriller album.

I’m not kidding.

There was apparently a lot of tension to be released. And those who had actually helped with the move had been celebrating their accomplishments for about six hours. We were kind of late to the game.

The impromptu rave settled down into an Indigo Girls sing along, with Katie C. making itunes selections from the eponymous album and Rites of Passage. Seriously, I haven’t heard these songs in about twelve years. They are so damn good.

Tripping down memory lane indeed. With Katie on melody and MB harmonizing. Hot.

The funny thing was, the equestrian has not spent a great deal of time with this group of people. So I could only imagine that looking at this group, with the infantry himself breaking it down with the lovely Natalia and Stiles on a chair doing interpretive dances--glow sticks in hand all the while--he must be like, “Ummm, is this typical?” Because it would be pretty exhausting if it was.

I can safely say that neither glow sticks or Michael Jackson have ever been involved in our social gatherings before. Really.

It reminded me of an evening at Michigan in my second year when BC and I had Dani over to our apartment for dinner for the first time. I didn’t like Dani at the time, she was BC’s new special friend and I am sure I was more than a little bit jealous. She was sophisticated and beautiful and knew a lot more about Shakespeare than I did.

Anyhow, she’s at our place and we’re showing her around and without really discussing it ahead of time BC puts on the soundtrack to
Cats (I don’t remember which of us owned it. I’d like to say it wasn’t me, but I think I’d be lying.) We have a quick moment of eye contact and seriously, start to dance around like cats. Kind of like the cats from Cats, kind of like real cats. We’d never done this before. But Dani is a guest so it’s sort of implied that this is what we do in this apartment and when in Rome, you know, so Dani starts dancing around with us.

To Jellicle Cats.

BC and Dani and I have analyzed that moment many times since then. How she just wanted to be our friend and hey—if this is how we spent our time in our apartment so too would she.

And with us—what ever possessed us? To improvise this strange rite of initiation? On the spot?

So yeah, it felt a little like that last night. Only with much better music. And as far as I am concerned, the equestrian passed with flying colors.

4 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny how some people refer to the people they date in their blogs. . . Some people say "guy/girl" I'm seeing or actually name them or use their initials or the "boy" or the "girl". Others create clever monikers for them a la Sex and The City. The moniker thing though seems like a way to separate or distance one's self from the real person. Objectifying them. They are not a person. They are a thing. An adjective. What was Big's real name anyway? Be careful about equestian. To many bad "riding" jokes to be had out of that one. Just an observation.

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Jamy said...

Anon, what is your problem? I'm sure the non-real-name is in order to protect his and SAS's privacy. That's all. Sometimes a nickname is just a nickname.

The use of the name "Big" in Sex & the City was to denote the important role that character had in another character's life. In the context of the show, it worked. Though you may recall, he started out as "Mr. Big," which has a different meaning.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger SAS said...

Anon: John. His name was John. (Mr. Big, that is.)

I wouldn't use "boy" or "girl" because I have trouble referring to people over the age of twenty as boys and girls. If you know me you've probably heard me give that speech.

I'm not quite sure what your point is anyway. I never use full real names, why would I start know?

Jamy: Well put. Sometimes a nickname truly is just a nickname.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger SAS said...

That is, why would I start NOW.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter