Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Lighten Up

Quick mentions of good theater:

I saw PETER AND WENDY and SCENES FROM THE BIG PICTURE last week. Both were excellent. Visually interesting, moving, simple, honest--all the things I like to see on stage.

Both have closed now. You didn't see them? Well get on the ball people!
I also saw MRS. PACKARD, thanks to the wonderful ticket connections of Ms. Lawton. The company was great, the show--not-so-good.

We watched the show on opening night, and by intermission JL and I were both like, "Ehhhh?" Was this theater? It didn't quite FEEL like theater. Nothing particularly THEATRICAL was happening. People were walking on to the stage and speaking to each other, but other than that, well, it felt a little like a living diorama at a historical museum.

We saw Mr. Marks there and I made a promise to myself. "Okay. If he gives this a glowing review then I will once and for all wean myself from all reviews". Back-story: I have never been one of those people who could completely ignore reviews. About anything--not just theater--but movies, restaurants, books, you name it. I grew up in a family that lived and died by the Zagat's guide, so it's kind of in my blood. But I'm trying to stake out a new course.)

A few days later I read his review. It's pretty spot on.


And he is so right--why is the screaming, spitting inmate a pre-requisite for any "asylum scene"?

The worst part was the semi-standing ovation they received at the end of the show. I wanted to stand up and call out about the the injustice:

"Half of you were asleep! What do you think you are standing for now!?"

That said, it was very clear that the actors were doing their best to do committed and honest work. Maybe everyone was. It happens.

On another note--moving to theatrical events that are NOT boring: Wednesday night at Palace of Wonders on H Street (yeah--that's where all the cool kids are hanging out now, didn't ya know? Which means, for once I was ahead of the trend curve) there will be a FRINGE PREVIEW EVENT. Read more about it here.

This is the first of many Fringe related pitches I'll be making.

We started rehearsals on the show yesterday. I perused the listing of Fringe Shows this morning and was impressed by some of the *big issues* being dealt with in this year's festival. Abortion. Arab-Israeli relations. Gender identity.

So let's get this out of the way. CAUTIONARY TALES and TRIXIE TICKLES will not teach you about identity or religion or politics or self-awareness or faith. They are not about an individual's journey to finding their true self, the meaning of life, the meaning of death, or the meaning of menopause. It will not reveal "the secret". It's not a poignant anything.

But it should be fun. And it should make you laugh.

Which, come to think of it, might in fact be the meaning of life after all, perhaps?

1 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what I like about your blog. It's intelligent, informative, and timely. So far I've marked my calendar for three Fringe shows. I hope in the future they set up a few shows for children. Good to introduce the young bloods to theatre going. I've noticed a lot of these shows "contains profanity." Sometimes I think we can perform and get a point across without using excessive profanity. This is coming from someone who cusses, but tries to at lease cool it a little (smile).
I can remember how exciting the innaugural Fringe was last year. Enjoy whatever you choose to see, City Mouse. Cheers!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter