Sunday, March 11, 2007

Comment Tangents

As I wrote in the comments below, anonymous comments put me in an uncomfortable position for discussion. You know who I am but I don't know who you are. It is fine that it works that way, but I am not able to engage in a debate because you may be a family member posting anonymously, you may be a colleague, or you may be a stranger, each of which would merit a different response.

And with those variables the possibility that I think I am "somehow superior because you know better and are too smart for them and they don't quite reach your reading level" can mean many different things. If you have read only this entry then yes, it makes sense that you would interpret my rant that way. Actually, I didn't even rant about self-help. It was a passing comment. A really minor, off the cuff, not particularly well thought out observation that came from a podcast. But that's neither here nor there.

If you know me, and think I really feel that way, well then that's a discussion you should be having with me to my face.

Ooooh. I don't like that! I'll be honest, the opportunity for someone to anonymously say the things that they want to say to my face makes me so very uncomfortable.

But there are a lot of good points in that last comment, so I'll leave it be.

The accessibility to therapy issue is huge. I have had many frustrating experiences with insurance companies and their dealings with mental health care. That could be a pages-long rant in and of itself.

But in the interest of doing something good for the world I will mention the couple of resources that I am aware of in the District where one can find a therapist on a sliding scale.

The Women's Center
(http://www.thewomenscenter.org) -- (sorry, I can't do links right now)
As you would guess, their resources are solely for women, but the staff is kind, the offices are welcoming, and they do offer therapy on a sliding scale.

George Washington University
(http://www.gwu.edu/~psycdept/view.cfm?page=services)
They offer mental health services on a sliding scale through their Department of Psychology.

I am sure there are others out there. Anyone? Know of another resource? Post it below if you do.

6 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

What crazy blogosphere roll-call is your blog listed on that so many crazies post here?

It seems that with each season, there's some "anonymous sandwich" lurking to write an ENORMOUS comment lashing out at you for your opinion.

I can't wait to read what happens during the vernal equinox!

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger cometary said...

Also the Washington School of Psychiatry - www.wspdc.org - 202-237-2700

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Jamy said...

Good lord! Please remember that when someone posts a comment that long regarding a tangential point in a post, it's not about you.

It's about them.

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

montgomery county, MD has a sliding scale counseling center for women - 240-777-8300

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger The Trendy Tailor said...

also, if you're in grad school, most universities have programs. I took full advantage of mine when I was in school.

 
At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

arlington county mental health services has a sliding scale. i pay eight bucks. 703-228-4864

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter