Monday, November 13, 2006

Sometimes Smiling Makes My Cheeks Hurt

Remember the famous quote during the Rodney King trials?

People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?

Yeah, well, maybe we can't.

I've been thinking about this lately.

Why am I expected to like everybody? Doesn't that discount the individuality that we all bring to the planet as human beings? Doesn't it devalue the distinction between people I REALLY DO like and the people I TRY TO like? If there are circumstances that make me uncomfortable around a person why do I have to pretend that those circumstances don't exist for the sake of show?

I resent that I am forced to put such dishonest energy out into the world. I believe that eventually those little lies will gather and congeal into a big sticky mess of insincerity. I don't want my feet to get stuck in that insincerity.

Maybe we should all let each other off the hook. If it works, it works. If it doesn't - then accept that and move on. None of us have a whole lot of spare time. Let's save the time we have for the people and pursuits we really want to spend that time with. Yes?

Okay. Next.

5 Comments:

At 6:08 PM, Blogger playfulinnc said...

Holla.

Jesus, do you live in my brain?

I don't do fake. I don't think you do either. That makes us talented theatre folk in some twisted way...however, I do agree about allowing the reality of personality types and communication live and breathe around a process.

Can't you not perfer someone's company and still work with them?

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger SAS said...

I can work with someone who I do not want to socialize with - absolutely, positively.

What does bother me is this underlying expectation in the community that BECAUSE we all work together we should also want to play together. Not necessarily.

Of course, I will always be social and friendly, that's in my nature. But I'm tired of doing things for the sake of appearance, tired of plugging away at friendships that are not really friendships, never really were friendships, were actually never more than one sided conversations.

So, yeah, that all make me a little bit weary.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger hpmelon said...

Heh, heh, heh.

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never done much fake in my profession which, I believe, would have gotten me further in my career than I am today. But I've had to do some faking, like being cool - such as when a customer has gotten testy or rude (I visualize cussing them out into oblivion leaving them scarred for life!). But I am comfortable and fortunate financially and, psychologically. There is always some degree of price to pay whether or not you fake. That's just the whimsical way of life.

Anyone who says they NEVER fake is faking. We all fake to some degree because it's necessary. It doesn't always make a person bad, it just shows that they know when to fake the funk without compromising their integrity.

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

indeed indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter