Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Boo.

Okay so you all know this already but I do love Miss Fritzky. She always knows exactly the right thing to say and she usually says it with a healthy dosage of completely vulgar words and images. I loves me some of that.

More about the weekend.

It was packed pretty solid - my friend and favorite Mexican of all time (and I like a lot of Mexicans so to be my favorite really is a coveted slot) - Mr. Alvarado was in town starting work on his play that
opens here in DC tomorrow. He had a fundraising event to attend and this past week his cast and director (Mr. Escamilla, whom I also love more than words can express) were in town teching into the space.

Go see their show. The actors are great and the creative team is wonderful. I haven't seen a version of the script since its very first reading but I can't wait to see what they have done with it. Lots of talent and heart here. Do it. See it.

I was his surrogate date for the event which translates to: lots of free wine, which translates to: woman who drinks too much says too much.

Yeah, another one of those nights.

The original fundraiser was at
Indiebleu. I'd never been. It was quite lovely, I felt under-dressed, but told myself that my kick--ass boots made up for that.

Afterwards:
La Tasca for some food and more drink, Another Irish Bar for, ummm, more drink, and then a halloween party? Did we actually make it to a halloween party?

We did, for sure, I was not dressed up (I did dress up the night before as a bleached blond moll on the arm of Hpmelon's dashing gangster something or other) but my how I did chatter.

The Red Light Winter guys were there (oh! I saw
Red Light Winter on Thursday!) and I gave them my dramaturgical assessment on what worked and what didn't in Rapp's play, because, you know, he was nominated for a Pulitzer so he clearly needs MY thoughts about consistency and the number of objects endowed with special "meaning" that one should write into a play (I thought that a dress, a snow globe, a tape recorder and song were at least one too many - whether they stood for different things or not - and wait, there was something else in there wasn't there?) and I am sure they were both like "Who does she think she is?" but, eh, what are you going to do.

A side note: I thought the performances, direction and design were pretty flawless in that show. Such wonderful talking and listening happening. And they'd been living with the show for a while so the timing and pace was so good, really, really spot on. And finally a designer who creates a new york "studio" apartment that is actually shaped and sized and decorated like a real new york "studio" apartment.

And a lot of the writing was, I dare say, sublime. Really. Which made the few false notes almost painful for me. It was so close... so why?... and with such uber realism... false rings out.

The night concluded with a visit to Top Of the Hill where we all danced with a guy named Buddy from Ohio (or did Mando just call him Buddy? Was his name actually Buddy?).

The rest of the weekend I rehearsed with my
Extreme Exchange group. Which was great fun. They are all a bunch of young whipper-snappers from University of Maryland, and they were talented and bold and eager and sweet, so I had a great time.

And Gwen took me to Target and to
College Perk so life was looking pretty sweet, I dare say.

The event on Monday was successful I think. Interesting work being done, and even more interesting was the discussion afterwards. The XX crew did a fabulous job pulling the whole thing off. I was impressed.

And there's more. There's more?

Saw
Monster last night. Extremely spooky in the very best way possible. Many interesting ideas about god creating man creating god creating man. Stuff to think about and creepy sexual and familial scenes. Again, what more can one ask for?

Creepy facial hair too. On everyone, including Getman, who isn't even in the damn show, and Randy, who I think just didn't bother to shave. Lots of fun people there. And halloween candy goody bags to boot.

Also made my once every six months sojourn to
Wonderland during which I inevitably think "Wow, this place is really cool" and "I am so friggin' glad that I live on the hill."

5 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. that's a five-count of places you went to party on saturday night. Impressive!

Maybe someday we can take another trip to target, and buy things other than props (and mints).

Did you see the Round House Frankenstein? I feel like it fills in a nice gap in the MONSTER story (when the creature lives in the woods for a year).

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger The Deceiver said...

Randy's facial hair continues to threaten the world unabated because I remind him daily how important it is that he keep growing it for the sake of solidarity and morale. Even Ryan, knowing full well that he'd be playing an adolescent, showed up for first read with a full beard, as he was asked. We should expect no less from our fearless leader. I have told him that the quality of the show hinges directly on his beard.

Not to worry. I'll attempt to force him to undergo a full body wax for the next show, to show solidarity with Grady.

Developing! (And it was nice seeing you last nite!)

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger DCepticon said...

Thanks for the kind words on Monster. You saved me like 20 mintues of writing something this morning. And sorry about the whole touching your head thing last night. I blame the wig.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger SAS said...

Gwen - yeah, I know, not bad for a thirty-fucking-one year old, huh? YES - to Target. NO - I did not see RH Frankenstein, but perhaps I shall.

DCeiver - now I wish I could grow facial hair to support my hair-y casts. bummer.

DCepticon - you can touch my head anytime, wig or no wig.

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you need a nap. can you take a nap?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter