Thursday, November 09, 2006

Flesh Wounds

I find myself walking around Capitol Hill with a new found confidence.

After the last election I was convinced that everyone I passed was a smug Republican staffer (indeed, many of them surely were) looking at me thinking "Ha, ha - crazy liberal freak, nobody likes you, everybody hates you, why don't you go sit and eat some worms..."

Now I want to root out the right wingers and sing it to them.

But really - I know we all need to get along now, absolutely. But can we just be smug for one quick moment?

*i told you so*

Okay, done.

Thanks to Damian for this fabulous link in relation to the short skirt saga. I'm a little curious as to how Damian found the site in the first place (something you are not telling us Damian?) and also not sure who exactly the alleged "Christian Guys" are who penned said letter, but it's a trip.

Clearly these guys have been doing a great deal of thinking about this:

If you are wearing a blouse that barely meets the waist of your slacks and some of your skin shows while you are moving around, or simply while you are walking, sitting, or kneeling....When you wear low-cut tops ... or when you bend over, and they are revealing ... Or if the back is out of your top, we automatically think that you do not have the undergarment on ... Or when we see any glimpse of your undergarments, such as straps and the like ... too tight ... too short ... too low ... or too revealing...

Any other examples Christian Guys? Come on, while you've got our ear - might as well get it off my chest. I mean - off YOUR chest. I mean, shit, I'm sorry, did I mention my chest? My bad. It won't happen again.

5 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gaaah...

can't type
too angry...

but then again.
I am reading this book called 'snow' set in turkey, and there is a lot of talk about headscarves and modesty and saving yourself for god and the like.

And part of me really wants to BUY it, to buy the idea that if I wear a giant sack/box I will be freed from superficiality, and no one will judge me. It is a lovely idea that if you keep something hidden and private, it has that much more value for those who do see it.

But what about guys? It's blind to think that guys aren't judged every second for how they look, whether they are well-dressed or unkempt, fat or balding or pigeon toed or hairy or short. The difference is, if they are visually unnattractive, they still have 'power', and are considered a valuable member of society even if they aren't a married baby-maker. On the other hand, if a guy happens to be visually attractive, he doesn't risk getting raped and impregnated (well, not impregnated anyway).

I do not understand how the entire history of male/female relations consists of men punishing and restricting women because they cannot restrict their own feelings and desires.

re: smugness, I am trying not to be smug. but it sure is great to actually have half the country backing up your opinions, instead of just your own tree-huggin artsy friends.

possibly see you tonight?

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger SAS said...

G - I do hope I see you tonight.

To boot - I can be very respectful of religious restrictions on dress because even if I don't agree with them generation upon generation of people do. I had a longer post that addressed this but I went with the quick one.

When I worked for an orthodox rabbi I was respectful in the way I dressed, and certainly I willingly covered my legs when entering St. Peter's in Rome or the mosques I visited in Egypt. I even see some beauty in the whole orthodox-women-hiding-their-hair thing (shaving it off? too much.) But the whole less is more, mystique thing - I get it, I do.

I just think this particular example is funny. You can just imagine these "christian guys" jerking themselves off as they imagine each situation where a woman's clothing initiates their "fight and struggle in the flesh".

I'll be honest. I can tolerate pretty much any other set of religious beliefs more than I can tolerate fundamentalist christianity.

It's a long story - that one - starting with Kristen Milligan telling me when I was twelve that my jewish father would never join the rest my family "in heaven" and progressing when I read the home-schooling textbook of an ex-boyfriend's little sister and discovered that it was teaching today's christian soldiers that the native americans died out because they didn't accept jesus into their hearts.

But that all is a post for another time.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger damiansinc said...

A friend of mine posted about it on her blog. Her response was classic. I thought it was so timely I had to send it to you. Here is Brash Lion's Post.

But rest assured, I do not feel the same stresses that these poor boys feel. If they spent a day in my mind it would be scary!

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger damiansinc said...

Sorry...I love this comment by Brash Lion:

Girls, do you know what we would really like? We would like to come
among our Christian sisters and not have to fight and struggle in the
flesh.

In other words, don't make us rape you. Please.

 
At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is it that having PMS and carrying babies means that women are too much a victim of their biology to be taken seriously, but, when men claim they've been aroused to the point that they can't control themselves, it's business as usual? If your car gets stolen because you left the keys in the ignition, no one claims that the thief is not at fault because you tempted him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter