Thursday, September 14, 2006

Ways of (Not) Seeing

BLINDNESS is very good. Riveting. And, disturbing. And kind of frightening. Like highbrow science fiction.

I was just reading a section on the metro (if you are following along, yes - I'm in DC for a single night again) and I had to close the book and put it down. Then pick it up again. Then close it again and shut my eyes and try to get rid of the image in my mind and then open them again and assure myself that I saw something other than milky whiteness.

I will warn however - if you are in any way cynical about humanity, if you question whether kindness and gentleness are imposed rather than instinctual, especially in men - men fare badly in this book - then BLINDNESS will not do anything to assuage your doubts. And I am a little cynical to begin with. So, no, it's not helping.

2 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger hpmelon said...

Could not put it down.

Could not stop thinking about it.

Can't wait to discuss.

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter