Monday, August 28, 2006

Urban Renewal


I'm at the Lincoln Center Barnes & Noble. Looking out on that stretch of Broadway between, what, 66th and 67th I guess? Across from the Virgin Store?

The plaza in front of Juilliard is all torn up. I'm not sure what they're doing there.

For about nine months in 2000 I worked in this neighborhood, and would walk from the subway stop way west (where all those Trump buildings are now) every day.

The whole Lincoln Center complex is kind of ugly and very removed from the city. It was built during the reign of Robert Moses, when the idea was to set this whole cultural institution up and away from the masses. Kind of like the Kennedy Center. Do you guys know about Robert Moses? Read about him at the link above. He shaped our US cities throughout this last century, perhaps more than any other one man. Not all good. In fact, mostly not good. The article is definitely not objective though. Isn't wikipedia supposed to be objective?

3 Comments:

At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can never pass that plaza without pausing to remember Zero Mostel.

Wikipedia is whatever people decide to enter, biased or even completely fictional if it entertains them.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

Ja ja ... Wikipedia gets its definitions based on the number of posters with similar information.

The Colbert Report enlightened me to this.

From the first paragraph of Wikipedia's own definition:

"Wikipedia is a Web-based free-content multilingual encyclopedia project. It exists as a wiki, a website that allows any visitor to edit its content."

I think I may post my own biography on there.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger playfulinnc said...

The Wiki Project.

I like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter