Thursday, August 31, 2006

Spilled Beer and Staged Readings

I'm here, really I am.

Quick updates.

The show is going well. I mean, it's moving along and I still like everyone and all that.

It's rained for like, forty days and forty nights in the city this week alone.

On the train ride home tonight I apparently let one of my bags (yes, ONE of several. Can we say, pack-mule?) sit in a puddle of beer for much of the ride. I smelled it but thought - oh someone spilled beer somewhere on the train. Little did I know I was actually sitting in it. Now it seems like everything smells like beer. And you can tell it's cheap beer too. Not that swimming in chimay is any better than swimming in bud but yeah, maybe it is, a little.

I had the opportunity to visit a friend outside of the city in a house on a lake a mere thirty minutes from the apple and it was lovely and peaceful and lush and about as unlike Manhattan as you can possibly imagine. A really wonderful blip of an escape. Here's to escapes.

This weekend I'm back in DC. Come see readings at the Kennedy Center during the Page-to-Stage festival. Seriously - there are tons of them going on, so come see one that I am working on or one that someone else is working on but indeed - come see something. The link in the title is to the press release.

They have me listed for the one I am doing with Shawn (which I finally finished reading today, and I have to say, it's pretty outrageous) but not the other one I'm doing for Centerstage - Americamisfit by Dan Dietz. It's also pretty out there, and very funny and inventive and exciting and musical. All good.

Except, ummm, I've dealt with the Kennedy Center before. Many times. I've done page-to-stage three years now. And they can't spell my name correctly? Yeah, okay.

Maybe this wouldn't annoy me as much if I didn't have the smell of beer embedded in my nostrils, but it kind of does.

Last year in getting through P2S I know I rankled the hide of one of the assistants to an assistant who was putting together our program. I don't even remember exactly what happened, but at some point I was driven to being not very nice to her on the phone.

I wonder if she was putting together the program again this year. Not that I'm paranoid or anything.

And whether or not that has anything to do with it, maybe there is a lesson to be learned here about not being nice to people.

Or about not crying over misspelled names or spilt beer.

3 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The good folks at Centerstage asked me to do the Americamisfit reading, and I was VERY disappointed to be unavailable when I heard you were directing it. I was looking forward to meeting you!

Hope it goes well; so sorry I'll miss it...

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger playfulinnc said...

AW, MAN! I could have been in the same room with BOTH of you?

Wishing I were in town, but break legs~

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger SAS said...

Thank you - both - for support and words of encouragement. When the planets align, someday, we'll all end up in the same room and laugh about the many missed chances that came before...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter