Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Obligatory Road Trips

We drove up to NY yesterday to do another round of auditions and a site visit to the theater.

The auditions were frustrating - nobodies fault, just frustrating - so I'm not going to talk about them.

The site visit was helpful. I hadn't realized - I've seen a couple of productions at the theater. And I like the space. It carries good associations for me, mostly because it is on the same block that my friend Jordan lived in the late 90s. After her, the aforementioned Reb moved into the apartment, so it stayed within my circle.

It was the smallest studio ever known to man. No joke. There was no stove - just a hotplate. And a tiny refrigerator. Reb had two cats when she lived there. I mean - it was ridiculously small. And I used to stay with one or the other of them more than I ever should have. But it was totally the stuff that New York housing legends are made of.

Has anybody ever read the The Tenants? It's a great book. Speaking of NY housing legends.

There was also the sushi place that B and I frequented between 1997-1999, which was across the street from a sushi place where I once had lunch next to Audra McDonald.

We drove back to DC that evening. Yeah, the whole back and forth in one day is just not that much fun. I slept the whole way up (sorry Shawn) but we had some rather entertaining conversations on the way home, including whether any of us could fathom being romantically involved with a transsexual.

The exciting discovery on the way home however had nothing to do with romantic engagements or transsexuals. It was all about the NJ Turnpike rest stop and the Burger King that now carries veggie burgers! I mean, they're not GREAT veggie burgers, they're essentially microwaved Morningstar farms frozen patties with a little lettuce, tomatoes (and pickles, if you ask) but come on - are Burger King burgers GREAT burgers?

Rock on BK.

The strange thing is, I haven't heard or read anything about this. But apparently I wasn't the only one.

And while the idea of "packing a cold veggie meal" is theoretically possible, I'm never going to do it. So the possibility of having an option on the road other than iceberg lettuce with a few carrot shreds or some sort of non-descript frozen dairy desert is welcome news to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter