Monday, May 01, 2006

People Eating the Best Meals of their Lives...


The show opened on Saturday. I can’t really write about it. It still feels a little too personal, this one.

So the dust settles and I get to look at my life again.

It will be nice to have some free time, which I really haven’t had since mid-February. It will be nice to see my parents and to reconnect with friends here and elsewhere. It will be nice to see the sunlight, every once in a while.

My aunt and uncle were in town last night for a quarterly meeting of the The Multiple Sclerosis Society – my uncle serves on their board in some capacity – I really don’t know exactly what he does but I know he has been working with them for years. So my cousin and aunt came to see my afternoon show, and then I went with them over to the Mayflower Hotel where the conference is being held. C (my cousin) and I had Martinis at Town and Country while her parents got ready for dinner (she had the Town and Country signature martini, I had a Pear-tini) and we feasted on really salty mixed nuts.

The dinner group centered around a couple who are important donors. They have a foundation of their own but also contribute to other causes, MS being one of them.
They were phenomenally nice, humble people. In addition, there were several other MS board members, so C and I were the only two at the table under fifty. It was really lovely though. Everyone was so, genuinely I believe, interested in what we both do – C because she is saving the world by traveling to countries that most people have never even heard of armed with a phenomenal understanding of different cultures and several foreign languages – and me, I guess, because people still think an artist’s life is interesting even though, in reality, it often isn’t.

We had dinner at Vidalia. The food was wonderful – but richer than anything I’ve eaten in months and one of those meals that you reach the end of and think, okay, now I never have to eat again – both because it was so good and so much food. I had the goat cheese salad to start, then the Alaskan Halibut with roasted baby artichokes, several pieces of the onion foccacia, and panna cotta for desert – everything was so pretty and little and delicate – but deceptively so. I don’t think my body was ready for all that food.

1 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Blogger Artist In Transition said...

Your body was probably just in shock from not having any fries.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter