Saturday, March 04, 2006

Kentucky Goodness

Wow, so, I am more exhausted by 11pm than I have the right to be.

Lots of stuff going on with the show – both of them actually, as I have now had meetings with the dramaturge and set designer for my ten-minute play (which will inevitably be better produced than any other play I have ever worked on) -- but I’ll get to all of that in good time. I am having a great time with the director I am assisting as well. I am learning so much – which doesn’t always happen in assisting experiences, but she is smart and open, and I am trying to be as sponge-like as possible when I am around her.

I got a care package the other day from the magnificent MB. It was amazing. I felt so ummm, “cared” for. Which I guess is the intent of a care package. I haven’t gotten one (actually in the mail, in a big cardboard box) since college.

This one was like a treasure hunt. Each layer revealed goodies more exceptional than the ones above them. Vitamin water (which I finished in a day), Easter candy (like any good half Jew I tore right in), a funny bendy straw that has an Easter chick posed on it in a position that I swear to you looks like he is being crucified (very symbolic), magazines, a starbucks gift card…

The gift that keeps on giving.

My parents used to send me these massive care packages when I first went away to school and had all of these bizarre rules about what I would and would not eat. They were great about it – sending me just the right granola bars and organic cookies and vegetarian soups. That’s all eased up quite a bit by now. Thankfully.

Although it doesn’t look like I will be able to indulge in any of the native Kentucky specialties. I mean, yeah – fried chicken – that’s a no brainer. But there is also apparently a thing called the Hot Brown, which consists of hot turkey and bacon (see link above).

I guess I’ll have to stick to the Bourbon and Derby Pie. Neither of which I have had yet. But I did discover when taking a side trip to CVS to get cold medicine for the director I am working with that you can buy liquor in the drugstores here.

I knew they sold beer, but I had not wandered far enough into the store to see the entire back room filled with hard alcohol and wine. Really bad wine, but wine nonetheless. I took pictures.





I then went to buy some Tylenol Cold and Flu, and discovered (only after wandering though the aisles, baffled, for twenty minutes) that I had to go to the pharmacy counter to get it. And then hand over my driver’s license so that they could record all of my information.

Because while you can buy all the vodka you want at CVS, you can’t buy the 20 boxes of cold medicine you would need to make crystal meth. Apparently Kentucky is one of those states with a major meth epidemic.

Somehow this doesn’t come as a surprise. So all those stories about trailers blowing up because of these makeshift meth labs? They could be my neighbors.

2 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cvs rules. and you're home in a week. basically. yes? yes. woooooo.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger DCepticon said...

I saw Crystal Meth at the HFestival back in 1997 or 1998, I can see why people would want to stop them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter