Monday, March 06, 2006

Derby Hats and More


Another day off, another trip up Bardstown Road. I bought a birthday present for my oldest friend in the world (longest time, not actually oldest age-wise) which is quite lovely and hip and totally suitable for a fashionable Brooklynite, even though it was purchased in Kentucky. I was pleased.

Also found this vintage store with like, 8,000 formal dresses and a slew of "Derby Hats". They had vintage eyeglass frames too. As some of you know I sported a pair of vintage frames for many years, until they split in half last year when I was in West Virginia. Very, very sad. I am tempted. Do I do the vintage frames again, or go with something practical and grown up?

Went to dinner at a place called Primo's with the cast and playwright on Saturday night. It was quite nice and very fashionable - for Louisville, or anywhere, really. It was nice to spend time together away from the rehearsal studios. I then went over to where they are being housed (which is about a fifteen minute walk, annoyingly, from where I am) to watch the Oscars last night. I stayed until about 10:30pm but was by then so horrified by the musical numbers they had produced (what were they thinking!?) that I had to go home. I later heard that Crash had won, and I have nothing to say about that. It's just silly, Crash simply wasn't the best picture. Silly academy voters.

It was fun watching them with our playwright because she has spent some time in Hollywood and has very funny things to say about that world, and amazing stories about the time she has spent there. She is very opinionated with no apologies. I want to be her when I grow up.

I keep trying to take pictures to share with y'all of the heinous "Fourth Street Live" block of downtown Louisville but my picture phone just doesn't do it justice. Today I noticed that at the place called "The Pub" (link above, which actually gives a pretty good shot of Fourth Street) they advertised "Traditional English Fayre". Really? Is that what the cool kids are calling it these days? "Fayre"? What's the deal, HTO, are they trying to put one over on us or what?

Surprisingly, Louisville bars have a pretty good selection of beer on tap, across the boards it seems (although I have not been out enough to really test that theory). Lots of Blue Moon, lots of Smithwicks. Apparently there is a pretty large Irish-American population here (something to do with the terrain here and the potato famine, I don't remember the story) so maybe that shouldn't come as a surprise.

Okay, stop talking about beer Citymouse. Mom will worry.

6 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger HTO said...

although one (I speaks on behalf of my people) may claim in person to having invented footy, the computer, the toilet, the planet, the english language, I did have to look this one up. Fayre is the 15th-17th century spelling of both fare and fair (says so on google, and if it's on t’internet = FACT). So, I presume by Traditional English Fayre they mean Roasted Badger or Steamed Beaver kidneys or maybe rabbit, hare and hedgehog casserole, with a side serving of turnips and rhubarb.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger DCepticon said...

Don't ever grow up.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger SAS said...

I thought Al Gore invented the computer.

No wait. He invented the internet.

Didn't you guys also invent colonial oppression?

No, I just looked it up, and apparently the Phoenicians were the first to colonize and also probably the first to oppress. So you guys are totally off the hook.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger HTO said...

i see your 'colonial oppression', and i raise you 'Magna Carta'. i call top trumps. i'm thinking i went all out a bit too early there. I should've gone with the dyson vacuum, or cricket, or maybe jammy dodgers

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger SAS said...

HTO - Fayre enough.

But even if we are looking solely at Western NY (which is the only location I really proclaim any sense of solidarity with) we do have rollled film and hand-held cameras, the Women's Suffrage movement, and the great American pastime itself (which I'll claim even if Cooperstown is in Central, NY and Abner Doubleday is mostly legend).

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Home Accessories said...

Well, this one is exclusively looking one of incredible featured source about Derby hats for me. I have found epic information about that one from this source. It's seriously looking great for me. Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter