Friday, February 10, 2006

They Make Bats There


So for whatever reason I haven't written about the most exciting news I've had in a while.

I've decided I'm a lesbian?

Nooooo.

I'm adopting a puppy?

Hardly.

I'm dying my hair blonde?

Seriously thought about it yesterday.

But really. (Now anything I say in going to be totally anticlimactic).

I'm going to Louisville, Kentucky for five weeks!

(Crickets.)

Lousiville, Kentucky!

I've told a number of people this news and they bring up one of three things: 1) Baseball Bats, 2) The Derby, 3) Toby Keith, and 4) Basketball. (Yeah, I know that's four.)

Now, anyone who knows me at all probably could guess that none of these would be major draws for me.

But what few people outside of our little circle of theater dorks know, is that Louisville is also the home to a major regional theater, The Actors Theater of Louisville. They host the Humana Festival of New Plays, which has served as an incubator for new work for going on thirty years now. Though a series of fortunate circumstances, I have the opportunity to assist on one of the full length plays there (a new play by Theresa Rebeck of Bad Dates and Omnium Gatherum fame) and to direct the ten-minute play by playwright Rolin Jones (The Intelligent Design of Jenny Chow).

This is both wonderful and terrifying.

I have stacks of the Humana Festival Plays collections and several that compile years of the ten-minute plays exclusively. I went to the festival in 1998 when I was in school, and yes indeed - it is an exciting, vital, energizing place to be. Exactly what I need right now.

And maybe, just maybe there will be some stirrup pants sightings. After all, it is Kentucky.

5 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're NOT a lesbian?

i've been wasting all this time. damn it.

congratufuckinglations.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger tonya.beckman.ross@gmail.com said...

AWESOME gig! Way to go!
And Louisville is sort of pretty too, I thought, in the midwestern way.

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, but when I think Kentucky...I think Bourbon...Anyway, major congrats!!!!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger HTO said...

ok... so it's not the best movie in the world, but the blonde chick in it is kinda cute. but then i like romcom's so what do i know.

elizabethtown. that's based in Louisville...

i'll shut up now.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger playfulinnc said...

Wow. Just caught up. Congrats!~!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter