Wednesday, February 01, 2006

New York Minute: Part One

I am getting subtle hints (read: death threats) because I have been lax about updating my blog. So here goes:

Sunday my show closed. It was (and has consistently been) a great audience that afternoon. Receptive and responsive and totally game for the evening (afternoon). We like that.

We ate Mexican food and drank a margarita in celebration of our close and then I headed home to try and find some order in my life. Also, maybe to pack, since I would be getting on a bus at 9am to head up to New York the next morning.

Instead I fell asleep at 10 o’clock. Woke up again somewhere around 1am. Took my contacts out and vowed to pack at 7am, and went right back to sleep.

7am, woke up, scurried around packing, greeted my cousin (who was also, for some reason, up that early) grabbed a power bar and vitamin water (which I LOVE as I have totally fallen for their whole marketing campaign) and headed to the Greyhound station.

Ugly, skanky, smelly, dank, crowded, Greyhound station. Yummy.

Happy surprise! My friend Teddy is on my bus! He offers to save me a seat, but since the bus is pretty empty, I take the TWO seats next to his, we chat about him and his lovely girlfriend, and life, and NY and DC, and then I say (classic), “I’m just going to rest my eyes for a moment”. I then sleep for the next three hours. When I wake up we are in New Jersey, nearing the city. Traffic was light and we make it to the terminal in just around three and a half hours.

Goodbye to Teddy then off to Brooklyn for baby time. Best friend T had a baby three months ago. Baby was very small when I saw her last. Now baby is bigger and maybe the prettiest baby I have ever seen (I am a little biased). She has gigantic blue eyes that stay wide open all the time. This makes for a very cute child, but also creates some difficulty when she is supposed to be taking a nap. Hard for Baby to sleep when eyes are wide open.

Baby found me interesting as I was something new to look at. I challenged Baby to not be so cute, and she just couldn’t do it. I held Baby for a moment and Baby started to cry. Baby must have sensed that I waffle in my desire to have babies myself. Baby is invested in populating the planet with her own species: very cute babies – and couldn’t understand why I myself might not want a wide-eyed Baby creature. I tried to explain that my life didn’t quite work that way as of yet, but Baby would have nothing to do with it.

T and I got falafels and went to eat them in the park, pushing baby along in her super-stylish yuppy baby carriage. Baby didn’t get a falafel. At least not directly.

For the rest of the afternoon, Baby continued to remain cute while T and I talked about parenting (T), relationships (both), life (both), family (both), and theater (me).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter