Wednesday, January 25, 2006

They Want Us to Throw the Babies in the River, But Leave us to Try and Pull Them Out


This post is not going to be nice. I'm sorry.

I have friends and family who are pro-life for their own reasons and I respect them for that and for having convictions that they believe in.

But I have to say it. There are few sights that have the power to instigate such a deep sense of anger and resentment in me than the masses that are lingering at the end of the day on the anniversary of Roe v. Wade.

I hate them. I do. For that moment, for that day, I hate them.

I always forget it is that day. Always.

And then there they are. So young. Throngs of them. White, white and whiter. Ruddy faced. Southern and Midwestern and probably a busload or eight from my own Upstate New York.

Carrying their posters. Completely oblivious to life outside of the suburbs. Filling Union Station with their whiteness and loudness and their ridiculous self-righteousness and religiosity. Wearing matching red t-shirts with stupid sayings like "Sex is good, the pill is not." (What the fuck is THAT supposed to mean??!!)

And this is what gets me the most.

They come, they march, they leave their garbage and signs and propaganda and shit all over the hill and then they get back on their busses and go back to their big houses and SUV's and flat screen tv's.

And leave us to clean up their mess.

I feel like there is a metaphor at work here. And this is my biggest issue with most pro-lifers. They want to force a woman to have a child, that is not yet a child as far as I am concerned, that they don't want to have, or don't feel capable of having. And yet most don't support social programs in this country. They don't campaign for a better welfare system or good public schools. They don't fight to save Head Start or to improve social programs.

They want the babies born. And then they leave.

And they leave the rest of us to clean up the mess.

1 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Blogger hpmelon said...

Very well said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter