Friday, August 05, 2005

End of an Era



I finished watching SEX AND THE CITY last night. And by that, I mean the final four episodes.

I didn't intend to. I started the first of the last at about 11:30pm thinking I'd watch just one, and then suddenly it was 2am, and I was sitting there with tears running down my face as Charlotte and Harry finally got their baby, and Miranda and Steve realize that they love each other for all of the right reasons, and Samantha proudly pulled off her chemo wig and Carrie looked up from her hotel breakdown in Paris to see Mr. Big.

Umm, sorry. "John".

I remember when the last episode came out there was ample discussion about whether it was a let down. As I recall, people were disappointed that the ultimate happiness came to all of these women by finding the "right man".

Yeah - it's totally a white knight solution. No argument there. Especially Carrie, who ultimately has Big rescue her from disaster and heartbreak in Paris, quite literally "picking her up off of the floor".

So sue them.

It is a show about dating and sex. Of course the happy ending comes when they all find their mate. Isn't that usually the "happy ending" of all love stories? And it is not only about the men in this case. It is as much about that city - and the love affair with New York that these four women have.

So it's done with. Over.

Now I will have to move on to the dvds of SIX FEET UNDER and CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter