Monday, August 01, 2005

Weekend Tidbits - What I Read



1. As if to say, "We told you so!" the Modern Love column in the Times was one of the more insipid ones I've read. He gets off to a pretty good start, but then has to wrap it up with a meaningful bit of psycho-babble. Just tell the story! Let us draw our own conclusions.

2. More Mormon headlines.

3. So looking forward to Broken Flowers. And I really feel like I need to revisit the Jarmusch films I saw years ago. I never saw Coffee and Cigarettes. Is it worth it?

I love this: "The key, I think, to Jim, is that he went gray when he was 15," Waits, Jarmusch's close friend, would later say to me. "As a result, he always felt like an immigrant in the teenage world. He's been an immigrant -- a benign, fascinated foreigner -- ever since. And all his films are about that."

Which brings me to wonder, is Tom Waits not the coolest human being living today? Just, phenomenally... cool.

4. I read Michelle Orannge's story, An Interview With John Orange, On His Completion Of The Ceiling Of The Sistine Chapel, A Jigsaw Puzzle in Sun Magazine, but you can read it online at McSweeney's here, and here (they have it split into two parts.) It is so subtly funny, and touching, and in what seems to be a simple story about a puzzle you learn so much about this man and his relationship with his daughter. Read it.

2 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger Karl Miller said...

Jim Jarmusch! Ah, for the days of "Dead Man" and "Ghost Dog." I haven't seen "Coffee and Cigarettes" either, but I wanna skip straight to Broken Flowers, myself. Bill Murry's in it, right? I remember Jim giving an interview in which he was asked his least-favorite descriptor for independent film. "Quirky," he said. Good choice, too, since that's how most of his stuff gets dismissed by other critics.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Karl Miller said...

Side note -- have you read any criticism by Jonathan Rosenbaum of the Chicago Reader? You can find his reviews and essays through the digital cache backdoor of RottenTomatoes (you have to pay for them at the Chireader archives) but he's a huge Jarmusch fan and wrote an excellent dissection of both "Dead Man" and "Ghost Dog."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter