Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Everybody Hurts, Sometimes



Dating Hell Diarist is a blog I have occasionally found myself lingering on. She went on hiatus for a while, partially because she was getting pretty involved in an exclusive relationship, and there is not much to write about dating when, well, when you are not "dating".

She's back and the story of what went wrong is posted in several segments.

I must somewhat sheepishly admit that I just spent the last thirty minutes reading about her saga.

And it makes me think that yes - perhaps doing the dating thing IS far more difficult (read: confusing, elusive, tormenting, trying) than working at making a relationship last. Because, in a relationship, you at least can rely on the premise that both parties are equally invested. Until that changes. But usually, you have a pretty good idea if it does change.

Usually.

Ouch.

4 Comments:

At 12:20 AM, Blogger Sandwich Repairman said...

Can I take this as a retraction/apology for your criticism that I'm frustrated about dating and apparently naive about what work relationships are?

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Artist In Transition said...

SRM- Don't want to speak for City Mouse, but I am pretty sure the answer is no.

Not everyone is as wrapped up in you as you seem to be.

Stop being such a troll.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger SAS said...

I still think relationships are hard. And I already apologized many, many times, SRM.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Sandwich Repairman said...

Uh, SAS is the one who apparently deemed me worthy of 2 scathing posts with links. I wouldn't be here if not for that.

I am perfectly happy to accept that being in a relationship and making it work may (all else being equal) be easier for some people than dating. I just ask that those people also accept that there are other people for whom dating is the hard part and being in a relationship may come as naturally to us as dating seems to for other people. SAS had written that I was naive on this ("dating vs. relating") but seems to have come around, which strikes me as vindication from her criticism.

Are double standards ok just because you like one person better than the other?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter