Monday, August 01, 2005

Weekend Tidbits - What I Saw

(Warning: this particular post may gush a bit with hometown pride. Do not read if you can't deal with that.)

I saw two shows this weekend, both of which I'd seen the original productions in New York. And both were considerably more moving, more honest, and more interesting than their New York counterparts. Now, I am not a New York theater basher. I chose to stay in DC for many, many reasons, some of which I don't even understand, but I do not by any means say, "Bah! New York theater is bad!!" It's not. Often, it's very good. And just due to the sheer variety of it, there is always something worth seeing there.

But this weekend I saw two plays that needed to be seen on a smaller stage. Both were done in big houses in New York, one on Broadway, the other off-Broadway, and both were over-produced as a result. The production values interfered with telling the story. Especially in the case of the second one.

1. Take Me Out at Studio Theater. I have not seen something at Studio Theater for years. It is rare that I see anything there because ticket prices tend to be out of range and they are generally harder to get discounts or comps from than the other theaters in town. But a friend of mine was in this, and I managed to make it over.

But I'd seen the play before, and I didn't LOVE it then. I LIKED it, fine, and thought the Broadway production was clean and sharp, if a bit too slick for my tastes (which is odd, because I don't usually associate Joe Mantello with overly "slick" direction).

But seeing it in a smaller space at Studio made it feel like a different play. The second act, which brings much more gravitas to the story, made sense. I was actually moved.

I understand when plays or books or movies make baseball into this philosophical entity, because my father has made baseball a guiding force in his life. After his wife and kids, and maybe his commitment to teaching "good science" (his words, not mine) baseball holds a place of honor that nothing, NOTHING can usurp. Wine? Close. But I do think my father would give up wine before he would ever give up baseball.

And my friend (can I do this here? Can I gush for a friend?) Mr. Foucheux was, in Peter Mark's words, "sublime". His was a brilliant example of bringing an audience in, completely endearing them to you, and then guiding them along this journey, really - in the palm of his hand. It was a masterful performance, and I was so very proud of him. That was his last weekend in the show -- still see the show if you can, but be sure to catch Rick in the rest of his season.

2. The Last Five Years at Metrostage. Again, this closed this past weekend, so it is too late to catch it. But see the next show at Metrostage, or follow the leads to their next performances.

When I saw this in New York Jason Robert Brown had become big with Parade (a show I enjoyed, though certainly not flawless, and not particularly well received). Several years later he came out with The Last Five Years.

The show got some press because his ex-wife sued him when she realized quite how closely the show resembled their own starter marriage. Ouch. He changed a few details, but still, really, that must be tough.

Anyhow, they staged it at the Minetta Lane Theater, which is not a huge space, but somehow they felt the need to fill the stage with this giant clock (gee, is it a show that plays with the concept of time?), and had a turntable with boats, and cars (were there cars? I remember cars) coming in, and a lot of other things that I've blocked out of my mind.

The staging in Virginia was clean and simple, so I actually listened to the lyrics and followed the story. It is still a somewhat problematic show, but the performers handled the material beautifully, and I have to say, Tracy Olivera -- another DC talent - she's the real deal. Her comic timing is impeccable and her interpretation of a song is spot-on -- it is always clear that she knows the meaning of everything she is singing (why this is so difficult for singers to grasp sometimes, I don't know. It's just like Shakespeare. You have to know everything you are saying/singing. Tell the story.) And she never strays into the land of indication.

She was a divine pleasure to watch.

14 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Blogger Sandwich Repairman said...

my cousin is also in that production at the Studio.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

SRM - Which one's your cousin? I won't be able to see the show, but I'm curious.

I wish I could've seen Tracy ... I can only imagine how great she is!

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger SAS said...

Hmmmmm. SRM, you may be at the risk of outting yourself. Do you really want to do that? If your cousin is a local actor, it would be very easy for me to figure out who he is.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

Were there a lot of NY actors in the cast? I glanced over the cast list, and saw a lot of names I haven't seen before ... thought that maybe I'm just out of the loop, being out of town.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger SAS said...

There were a good number of NY actors -- some owing to necessity (specific ethnic types that we STILL have trouble casting in dc), and a couple of DC actors.

You would have enjoyed it. For many, many reasons. Definitely some nice eye candy there. I was seated in the front row, way house right so that, had I wanted to, I literally could have "reached out and touched someone". Rick said afterwards that I looked like a kid in candy shop.

That made me blush.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

"I'll take ya' to the candy shop ... I'll let you lick the lolly-pop ..."

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

(*blush*)

thanks.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Sandwich Repairman said...

I think I would be at risk of "outing" myself only if I answered your question. Anyway, my cousin and I have different names.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger SAS said...

But is your cousin black or asian? Or Latino? Or six foot four, blond and nordic looking?

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Sandwich Repairman said...

My cousin is a frog named Sam.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger SAS said...

He was really good in the show! And he had a gigantic schloonnnn...

Umm. Just kidding SRM!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Karl Miller said...

Interesting that you liked the closed space for "Take Me Out" better than the NYC space -- I loved the Studio production and didn't see the NYC production, but was talking with Aubrey a couple weeks ago when he pointed out that "baseball needs a wide open space to be appreciated fully" ... interesting point, I thought. Either way, Rick was simply brilliant -- he played that audience like an organ.

Ahem. Insert your own organ joke here.

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Sandwich Repairman said...

Ah, so you ah eento large genitalia...veddy eenterestink...und vat is zees about your muzzuh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter