Thursday, July 28, 2005

A Moment of Melting Pot Sentimentality

Last night, getting on the metro, I saw a small troop of scouts from "Laredo, Texas". The dads were all speaking Spanish, and the kids running ahead were speaking English. And I had a moment where I thought, "Fu*k all this cynicism! Look at that -- these families come up from Mexico, make a life in Southern Texas, and then join the most American thing possible. The Boy Scouts."

The kids were really cute, eyes shining, voices ringing out in the station.

I can be a softy too. It made me smile.

Years ago I worked on a show which made mention of Laredo. Last night made me think of my friend M who was in the show. He's from South Texas, near Laredo, I think. He moved to New York last year. I miss him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter