Thursday, October 25, 2007

Such a Perfect Day, I'm Glad I Spent it With You

Yesterday was, like, the most perfect-est lovely day ever. And I don’t mean weather-wise, I know the weather was dreary and soggy and mushy and grey. But the day? The day!

I had a weekday off. I shouldn’t have weekdays off but I am sort of between work-work and have an inconsistent schedule and I am trying not to stress about that. So let’s not talk about it. But we live in this city? With lots of free things to do. And so C and I had a day to spend as tourists in our own city and it was great. (Yes, so, I think we are all tired of the cryptic nickname and it makes people all confused about the horse thing so for now on it’s just “C”.) Anyway, we went to the Hopper exhibit at the National Gallery, but first brief stops at the Jasper Johns exhibit and to see the Matisse cut outs. I told C about my mother calling a set of underwear I had when I was eight my “Matisse underwear” because the print on them resembled a Matisse painting--colors, abstracted flowers--all that. I am sure that the good folk at Fruit of the Loom had no idea that there was a little girl running around upstate New York proudly proclaiming about her Matisse panties, but there I was and you can blame the Ceil’s for that. I hadn’t thought about that for a long time. It made me smile.

The Hopper exhibit was well worth the little bit of crowd battling necessary at any of these big showings. In retrospect though, knowing we had a limited amount of time because of parking and meters and such, I would have spent a little less time on the early stuff and focused more on the latter part of his career, which really is where he hits his Hopper stride. Nighthawks was surrounded (a la Mona Lisa) so we kind of breezed past that one, but the figures he did towards the end of his career are subtly moving and quite stunning.

Afterwards we headed north and had a surprisingly tasty lunch at one of the random Indian restaurants in Woodley Park. It was late for lunch and really quiet, but they had a great vegetarian thali option which I love because it means I don’t have to make a decision and I get to try a little of a lot of things. Mmmm. So much food though. Ridiculous.

An afternoon nap (did I not say this was the greatest day ever?) some emailing, then over to Shirlington to say hello to the rest of the returning Ireland tour. Yes, the fellas stepped off the plane at Dulles then headed over to Cap City for a Jameson and a toast, troupers, all of them. Finally over to Tunnicliff’s to say hello to that crew, which was a nice mix of regulars and sort-of newbies, then once and for all off to bed for crazy deep sleep which is a nice change from the bizarre dream-laden sleep I have been having lately.

Other things, besides a wonderful weekday, worth celebrating this morning:

Miss Callaghan won a big prize. It makes me happy when deserving people win prizes.

And ummm, hello? (Is this objectifying? If it’s objectifying I’ll take it down.) But that’s really something, right? Boast, boast, brag, brag.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter