Monday, October 15, 2007

Punk Heebs

The last seven days have been a divine mix of joy and melancholy.

I did not go up for my aunt’s funereal. The cousins were not encouraged to--no one wanted anyone to turn their lives around for it and so we didn’t.

The whole thing still feels a little surreal to me. I found out she had died when I checked my email on my phone while in line outside of the Black Cat. I was waiting to attend a panel discussion on a book about the connections between the punk movement and Judaism (The Heebie-Jeebies at CBGB's, by Steven Lee Beeber).

I know--WTF, Citymouse! What two groups could have less in common?

If you clear the picture of white-skinhead-neo-nazi-youth-punks from your mind it actually starts to make sense.

Jews have been involved in nearly every fringe movement this nation has experienced. Mr. Beeber spoke much more eloquently than I ever could about a history of questioning and examination, or being an outsider population, of the drive to make the planet a better place, that are important values to both punks and jews. Sometimes it felt a little bit like an outing ceremony (two of the Ramones? Jewish. Lou Reed? Jewish. The guy who founded CBGB’s? Jewish.)

In the review of the book on Beliefnet, Saul Austerlitz explains, “According to Beeber, the common thread for many of these Jewish punks was a desire to overturn the stereotype of the feeble, brainy Jew, the yeshiva student or the bespectacled clerk, replacing him with a brawny Jew in closer touch with his inner beast, and intent on shocking society out of its narcotized comfort.”

Anyway—I read the aforementioned email on my phone, and then spun into a “what do I do now? Should I go home?” spiral. I spoke briefly with my dad, who’d emailed me because my voicemail had been out of commission ALL DAY (fuck you Sprint networks) and so, he sent it in print. Weird, weird.

I stayed. I was already there. Hanvnah was introducing the event, and I was looking forward to catching up with her, something that doesn’t happen nearly often enough. And the discussion was interesting. At times the connections between jews and punks felt a little bit forced, but as Hanvnah said, I like jews and I like punks, so how could it not, in some way, be an engaging evening? It inspired me to take another crack at Lipstick Traces, a book I started when we were first working on Titus!. I couldn’t get through it, my mind was all over the place then and the book is written in a somewhat slapdash, pastiche style—that mirrors the movement it examines—but that I just couldn’t get in to. I’m still working on ULYSSES, and will now take a break from that for October’s Book Club pick, MOTHER NIGHT, but after that maybe I’ll look back at the Marcus book.

And it was wonderful catching up with Hanvnah, let that be said. I am very glad I stayed.

The rest of the week felt like it needed to be life as usual. I wasted no time in jumping back into my social life here, and was very happy to see people, and theater, and friends, and cats, and cousins, and all sorts of welcome sights again.

The wedding? The wedding will have to wait until the next post. I am trying to get back on a more consistent schedule of posting. We’ll see how that goes.

2 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger The Deceiver said...

Dude. I was gonna say--punk rock' full up with Members of the Tribe: New York Dolls, Anthrax, Bad Religion, 2/3 of Sleater-Kinney...

Plus: Mick Jones of the Clash, Chris Stein of Blondie, Handsome Dick Manitoba of the Dictators, Richard Hell of the Voidoids--even Malcolm McLaren: all Jews.

NOFX famously proclaimed their band's membership on their 1992 record WHITE TRASH TWO HEEBS AND A BEAN (which was originally going to be WHITE TRASH TWO KIKES AND A SPIC until one of their moms talked them out of it).

Actually, NOFX maybe has the most militant up-with-Judaica punk song ever, entitled "The Brews":

"Friday night we'll be drinkin' Manischewitz, goin' out to terrorize goyim
Stompin' shegetz, screwin' shiksas, as long as we're home by Saturday mornin'

'Cause hey, we're the Brews, sportin' anti-Swastika tattoos — Oi! Oi!
We're the boys, the Orthodox, Hasidic, O.G. Ois

Orthopedic Dr. Martens good for waffle-makin', kickin' through the shin
Reputation gained through intimidation, pacifism no longer tradition

'Cause hey, we're the Brews, sportin' anti-Swastika tattoos — Oi! Oi!
We're the Brews, the Fairfax ghetto boys, skinhead Hebrews

We've got the might, we're psycho meshuggahnas
We can't lose a fight as we are the chosen ones
Chutzpah-driven, we battle then we feast

We celebrate, we separate our milk plates from our meat

We're the Brews, sportin' anti-Swastika tattoos (Oi! Oi!)
We're the boys, the Orthodox, Hasidic, O.G. Ois"


Most importantly, from Jewsrock.org: "All four members of the Knack were Jewish; naturally, so was Sharona."

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Deceiver, your knowledge of Jews in Punk is right on! I only knew of a name here and there until I read the book. I was most suprised with the amount of Jews involved in the British Punk scene.
And City Mouse, I'm glad you made it and stayed. Good talks and drinks as always. See you soon, I hope.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter