Monday, October 22, 2007

Accidents

Weekend, weekend, weekend, weekend, WEEKEND!

Wednesday: Box Office at the Folger and Tunni’s afterwards. Thursday: THE TRIAL at Catalyst and Tunni’s afterwards. Friday: Box Office at the Folger. Saturday: Box Office for both shows at Catalyst and Tunni’s afterwards.

And you wonder why I don’t write more about my thrilling, unpredictable life?

Oh, wait. I did go to another Burlesque show at Palace of Wonders with Shawn and producer-man as *research* for a show. And I put that in irony asterisks because it sounds like it wants to be a joke, but it isn’t. It actually was research.

The burlesque show was not all that great. I don’t know if I would know the difference between good burlesque and bad burlesque, but based on the two shows I have now seen at Palace of Wonders “Burlesque” basically means a less sexy strip show that uses some humor and only gets down to pasties and bottoms. No full nudity. And some irony. And a greater acceptance of varied body types.

If anyone out there can give me a better definition, bring it on.

It was an interesting evening, capped off by a terrible event. Shawn and I left the bar and were sorting some things out with producer-man when we heard a dog get hit by a car. It was, truly, the most harrowing noise I have ever heard. That dog’s cries will stay with me for years. Maybe a lifetime. Several people carried him out of the street and placed him on the corner. He was collared and so small and sweet, please people keep an eye on your dogs, don’t let this happen to them, and we had to walk by the terrified broken pup, Shawn was very protective, “Don’t look that way, you don’t want to look, please don’t look Citymouse”. So I didn’t. And I’m glad. But the sound. The awful sound.

When I got home I showered Holden with love. He was all confused. “Large cold woman why are you letting me crawl all over you? Why are you cradling me? Why aren’t you kicking me out of your room yet?” I needed to give a creature some love after that experience. Holden was the lucky receiver. Take it while you can get it, furry one.

3 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger blog prince said...

I wouldn't know the difference between a good and bad burlesque show either, but I think the elements that would make it good a true for just about any type of performance. I good MC is important. Transitions are important. A variety in acts, (not just strippers). A little bit for everything. Gotta have a gimmick. I've seen some performers who talents go well beyond the fact that they take their clothes off. Things that would impress you clothed or not. Palace of Wonders is a crappy space for any kind of performance. The stage is too small and unless you're sitting right next to the stage it's impossible to see anything. And you end up having to watch on the monitors. Not conducive. Large amounts of alcohol make it a better experience as well.

Come see Lobster Boy on Sat. That's a good time.

I love that your kitty's name it Holden.

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lesson learned, never read city mouse just before bed; the story of the poor dog effected my dreams last night in a horrible way.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger The Dougressor said...

You SHOULD come to Lobsterboy on Saturday! Its the last one ever and features on the the finest burlesque acts around: Trixie and Hate Monkey (and carlos and i are doing a bit, as well!)

The story about the dog hurts my inner belly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter