Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Milford Cab Company

We had a very good run through on Monday afternoon, followed by a lovely chat with the artistic director or the theater and her husband--a university professor and playwright--who actually wrote this adaptation of ANNE FRANK. The play is based on an interview they conducted with Miep Gies in the early 90s, and a book by Gies and a co-writer about the experience of living in Amsterdam during the occupation and helping to hide the Frank's. It was great listening to their stories about Miep--truly a fantastic and inspiring woman.

After that a rush to the train station and a visit to NY. It was a great day. Too short. More on that later.

I'm back at the Ho Jo now after a minor getting home ordeal. In my rush to make the train the night before I'd left all my chargers at home. Consequently, my phone died just as I was boarding the metro north at Grand Central, so I couldn't call for a ride or a cab from the train. I walked around the corner from the station into "downtown Milford" (which is actually rather charming) and couldn't find a pay phone. I ended up borrowing a cell phone from a construction guy doing a late night street paving job and calling information for a cab number, which I know requires a charge. I tried to offer him a few dollars in return and he wouldn't hear of it saying, "I have a daughter about your age, I'd want someone to help her out".

Now, the guy couldn't have been older than late 40s, maybe. I thought "Yeah, I doubt you have a daughter my age". But it was sweet--both the phone lending and the assumption that I was young enough to have been conceived by him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter