Friday, March 16, 2007

"Finally"



I have a longer post ready to go. I'll put it up a bit later.

But bear with me for a moment of navel grazing.

AFTER DARWIN is getting quite good feedback.
Here, here and here. I actually kind of love Weldon's description of the show as "something rounder, messier, and more human." It's a great description of what I like about the theater I like.

We are still slow to get some of the bigger guns in--press-wise--but hopefully that's just a matter of time. I'm so glad that the actors are getting their due. And press is spot-on to recognize the marvels that Ms. Sivigny and Mr. Cissna have achieved. They deserve it.

Okay, here's the "bear with me" part. Point of over-obsession for the day yesterday? Take a gander at this line from Mr. Anthony's review.

"[Citymouse] finally comes through with superb direction..."

I immediately called MB, who has a slight obsession with Mr. Anthony (maybe we all do, a little bit).

(P.S. Some liberties have been taken with this conversation.)

Me: Read the review. What do you think he means by that? Like he's been having to sit through show after show of total dreck, and now finally, finally he thinks something is okay?

[pause]

MB: Has he ever given you a bad review?

Me: No! That's a thing! Not that I can remember. And like, now he took the archives down, so I'd have to email him to get my past reviews. And if I do that it will look like I'm obsessing over this one word.

MB: You are obsessing over this one word.

Me: ....

MB: Read it again. Maybe he meant "finely".

Me: No. No. No, no, no, no, no. It definitely says "finally".

MB: Or maybe. Maybe he was thinking you were someone else.

Me: ....

MB: ....

And so. FINALLY:

AFTER DARWIN features Grady Weatherford, Elizabeth Richards, Eric Messner, and Dallas Miller.

Timberlake Wertenbaker's brain-teasing play addresses the ruling metaphor of our times: the survival of the fittest. Set in two distinct periods, AFTER DARWIN follows Charles Darwin traveling aboard the 'Beagle' with Robert FitzRoy into uncharted waters off the coast of South America and then, hundreds of years later, Millie, Ian and Tom as they recreate a stage version of Darwin's travels. During their staging, they uncover the polarities both in and between their own lives.

Journeymen's production of AFTER DARWIN was featured in The Washington Post's Sunday Source section onMarch 4, 2007 as an "On Stage Pick." Don’t miss out. Tickets are on sale now via the Journeymen Theater website at www.journeymentheater.org or by calling 1-800-494-8497.

It’s a crash course on Darwin and survival of the fittest at Church Street Theater: 1742 Church Street, NW, Washington, DC. Get your seat now!

AFTER DARWIN

By Timberlake Wertenbaker
March 7 – 31, 2007
Wednesdays @ 7:30pm (ALL - PWYC)
Thursdays @ 7:30pm
Fridays @ 8:00pm
Saturdays @ 2:00pm and 8:00pm

5 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats! i'll totally email mr. anthony if you like....we'll get to the bottom of this yet!

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger SAS said...

From JEMP...
[name redacted] IS A MORON! MA! C'MON! There are better men to kvetch about!

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't sweat Mr. Anthony's "finally." As much as I enjoy reading his reviews I sometimes wonder if he woke up on the wrong side of the bed, as most of us do from time to time, and incorporated the moodiness of it all in his writing. In his latest review he makes the comment, "The casting of Afro-American actor is toally justified as most basketball cours show that they rank as the current majority."

By the way, saw "Darwin" and thought the directing (not that I'm an expert in directing) showed the actors highly interactive, and convincing in appearance, speech, and movement. Initially, this play was not at the top of my list of "must sees" but I'd annotated on my calendar when it was announced it was playing at Church Street that I MIGHT be interested. I'm glad my interest lead me to see the show.

Take care.

P.S. I tried posting this previously but it didn't take. But if my first post shows up, oh. well.:D

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm anon 1. Sorry for all the typographical errors, but I was in a rush.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter