Friday, January 26, 2007

Like a Glove

I can't stop eating cookies and mint m&m's and sour gummy worms. And we haven't even started tech yet.

It's been quite a week. Feigning great interest in the day job, auditions for this mid-week, rehearsals galore, and finally last night the first bit of theater I've watched in a long time, The Madcap Winter Carnival. I worked on the show three years in a row and was indeed a little sad to miss it this year. But Shawn has found brilliance and wonder working with Betsy on the sock puppet musical. It was fabulous. See it if you can.

So. Something I'm thinking about...

I was talking with a colleague about a mutual acquaintance of ours who recently and suddenly proposed to another mutual acquaintance of ours (la la la la la la). My colleague said of the speedy engagement:

"Well, they really are perfect for each other."

What does that mean? Is anyone actually "perfect" for each other? And another, more disturbing thought--what if some of us are simply not "perfect" for ANYONE?

Seriously, I can't imagine anyone existing who I am "perfect" for.

I don't think I could conjure up an image of someone who was "perfect" for me.

I think the idea of "perfect for each other" is a little silly.

There is one couple I have described as "perfect for each other" and it is not meant as a good thing.

Maybe the whole idea of "perfect" is what's kind of silly.

I guess that can mean two people who fill in each other's gaps, who complement each other. Two people who have just enough of the right things in common but still continue to challenge and learn from each other... right? I know couples like this, I do. I also have known couples that I'd look at and think "They are so strange together." And sometimes that is good. And sometimes that is bad.

Anyhow, that was on my mind. No conclusions. Carry on.

4 Comments:

At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

perfect?

I disagree with that sort of statement. I think - i think it's mathematical. Like there's a diminishing amount - there are 4000 people out there you'd be reasonably happy with, 3000 people you'd be pretty happy with, 800 people you'd be superhappy with, 300 people who'd make your entire life worth living, and 10 or 12 who are 'perfect'. or whatever.

but viewing anyone else's relationship from the outside is always idyllic, because you don't see the time alone or the respective resentment or whatnot.

psshh. I have no idea.

In answer to your question:
emergen-c is good.
I mean, it's a gross, fake-tasting, freaky fuzzy supplement.. Rahaleh used to take it backstage and I was interested. I started with the orange flavor, but it's kinda assy. Regardless, when I'm stirring it up and drinking it, i'm thinking HOT DAMN!@ i AM GETTING 70000% OF MY VITAMIN C! and that's just too fabulous to deny.

Sometimes I do feel a little abnormally perky afterwards. Not like cup-of-coffee jittery, just a little more... alive...

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I refuse to have this conversation without several drinks in front of me... So when are we drinking?

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

I prefer the raspberry kind of Emergen-C. I heard recently that one should be wary of taking too much, though, as too many B-12 vitamins can hinder one's absorbtion of other important vitamins.

But you can't overdose on Vitamin C, I found out. You'll just pee out the excess. And it will be the color of Mountain Dew.

I'm all about drinks and trash-talking, by the way. When?

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. Now you have it. You are beginning to understand the world of relationships. Perfect??? What a silly word to apply to a person, let alone a relationship between two people. Nature (100,000+ genes) stirred by nurture (with most parents I know in need of some degree or form of therapy) can't produce a perfect anyone, let alone a relationship between two anyones.

After thirty-five years of just enough things to fill each other's gaps and and thirty-five years of stirring, "perfect for each other" is a scary thought.

And now that you have it, keep it on your mind as you carry on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter