Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Of Course, The Soundtrack Was Really Good

It's been hard for me to write anything of substance lately.

I know, I know, I never really wrote anything of substance here but let me hold on to my delusions, okay?

I'm just so longing for a change these days, and feeling incapable of determining what exactly that change needs to be. A move? Career shift? Back to school? Ideas, anyone?

They are all possibilities. Not like, right away, but within the next year at least.

Because otherwise I don't think this kind of hollow longing will go away. Maybe even WITH a change the hollow longing will be there, but at least then I'll be doing something about it.

I saw THE LAST KISS last night. A bit of a let down. Zach Braff is, as always, the bright and adorable Jewish boy from New Jersey that I can't help but be charmed by, but the movie as a whole - meh. It really did seem like much was lost in the translation from Italian - like literally. The dialogue ranged from clunky to bad, which may mean we just don't have the right words in English to put over the Italian meaning. (Which, now that I look, is exactly what all of the reviews are saying).

Or maybe it's a humor thing. Maybe the Italians simply don't speak with the edge that I expected these characters to speak with. Italians are generally less cynical and probably less sarcastic than we are, right? But these people just seemed too smart to be saying the things they were saying. Especially Tom Wilkinson and Blythe Danner, whose best moments were consequently when they were not actually speaking. They both did have some spot on moments. But always in silence.

Which is disappointing for someone who craves dialogue.

Also, for a movie whose only theme that I could distinguish was "the world and relationships do not operate in blacks and whites so embrace the greys" (how many times have we heard that before?) the characters were drawn in pretty stark blacks and whites. The women were all needy and demanding of things that the men couldn't give. The men were all scared of commitment. The single women were the only ones who craved sex and they were the ones getting a lot of it. (Ha.)

Not much complexity there.

So, while I was thrilled to be doing a "normal people" thing like seeing a movie with my girlfriends, the movie itself did not make the night. The company however, couldn't have been better.

1 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good previews, though. good previews.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter