Thursday, May 04, 2006

It was the best of reviews, it was the worst of reviews

The reviews started to roll in today.

The Post review and the one in Metro Weekly are like little sparkling treasures from the great big critic in the sky - I couldn't ask for better. They are well written and both reviewers really seemed to get what we were trying to accomplish.

I was flying high for most of the day with those two.

Then I read the one in the City Paper.

It is not yet postable, but I'll put it up when it is. It is one of the worst reviews I have ever read. He hated every single choice we made, including but not limited to the selection of Blessing's play.

Fascinating. It's like they saw entirely different shows.

But it proves the point that a friend wrote to me the other day in the midst of my review anticipation stress:

"If you believe the good ones then you have to believe the bad ones and that gives critics far too much power."

2 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger hpmelon said...

Amen to that.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Thehairyape said...

my favorite thing to say when something like this comes from the city paper, "It's the free newspaper." I mean, if you don't have 35 cents to get good information, then you don't have $25 to buy a ticket.

Check this out though, I got a good review for a show I directed once, and got mad because I didn't think the show deserved it. Figure that one out(cause I still can't.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter