Friday, November 25, 2005

Catching up on Netflix

Wednesday Night:

I (Heart) Huckabees

Odd, really odd. I did kind of enjoy it, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. I thought the performances were pretty good, but then there would be long extended scenes (like Schwartzman and Jude Law fighting in the elevator) that made me want to rip my fingernails out. Such a strange screenplay. Such an unexpected assortment of people. And not altogether bad. But not really good either.

also...

Heights

Again, not sure I completely got the point. Glenn Close plays a famous actress (basically herself, but with more of a New York based career) whose daughter is a photographer about to marry a closeted lawyer. Everyone in the movie is beautiful, everyone in the movie is well dressed, everyone fucks around on their partner or at least would like to be fucking around on their partner. It was somewhat engaging but ultimately a bit empty. One highlight: Eric Bogosian makes a nice turn as the gay stage director who genuinely cares about his leading lady.

Perhaps it was a bit too much like life for me, save for everyone having great clothes. In my life we flock to H&M.

and Thursday:

Whale Rider

By far the standout. See this movie. It is beautiful. Amazing performances, nuanced, subtle, lovely. Made me want to create something again.

Tonight, Pride and Prejudice with the girls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter