Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Ch-ch-ch-changes




Peter Brady said it best.

When its time to change
You've got to rearrange
Move your heart to what your gonnabe.


Today someone asked me if I like having Sprint as a cell phone service provider. I answered quickly, "Not really, but I've had it forever, and I am really resistant to change."

I thought about it for a moment.

I am really, really resistant to change. I always blame it on being a Cancer, but come on. I was born six weeks early. I wasn't even supposed to be a Cancer.

I don't know if that is the cause of my control issues, or the result. Which came first, chicken or egg, you know?

When something changes that is beyond my control - I lose some-one, or some-thing, or an opportunity, it sets me reeling. For months, years even. When something changes and I do not feel sufficiently warned, and I can't do anything about it, it is like I lose my footing and feel completely incapable of regaining it.

I am not sure what to do about all of this.

Here's the thing. I have the very strong sense that I need a change, soon, very soon, now even. But I don't have the clarity to figure out what that change is. Something big like moving or grad school? Or a smaller adjustment, like reconsidering the choices I make about my social life, or the way I eat, or...?

It's all very foggy to me right now.

7 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger Artist In Transition said...

I am never a big fan of changing things for change's sake. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you are not sure if it's broke, best to seek the advice of an expert.

If change is neccessary, move boldly, and mighty forces will come to your aid.

Or at the very least, your friends will.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger blog prince said...

Change is hard. But good. Big changes - moves, going back to school - can be good, but are often done for the wrong reasons. I mean, going back to school is never a bad thing, and sometimes a geographical change is just the thing you need to jumpstart yourself. However, the geographical solution is just that -- geographical. Real change comes from within. And it is hard. Very hard. No matter where you are.

When we gonna hang, CM?

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i find that consuming large amounts of mind-altering substances usually helps.

if not...wanna head to australia? i hear they let you ride around INSIDE kangaroos over there.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

I think you should examine your interests -- what you want to accomplish -- and investigate ways of doing them. In doing that, opportunities for change may arise.

Or you could find ways of creating your own.

Knowing you're going to be OK and keeping in contact with those who love you will make the tought times easier, and the good times great!

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Sandwich Repairman said...

we need to change the world.

do you associate change with loss? i was once warned to make sure i wasn't preferring the certainty of misery over the misery of uncertainty.

or, maybe you should just get rid of Sprint since they suck. ;)

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Sandwich Repairman said...

something in the air these days??

Ch-ch-ch-changes

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger playfulinnc said...

Ooh...change...I love that subject, but then again, I too have had sprint for a very long time.

Sometimes you can get the ball rolling by changing a small thing and then BAM-the big change that you felt coming materializes.

Change is good, my friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter