Tuesday, July 26, 2005

On My Honor I Will Do My Best



The boy scouts descended on DC this weekend. I was going to write a post about the sight of two hundred scouts circling the Library of Congress -- all in their short pants and little bow ties regardless of whether they are twelve or fifty. But now I feel kind of awful for giggling knowing that this happened yesterday. The horrible irony is the idea that scouts are supposed to know about this shit -- where to pitch a tent, and more specifically, where NOT to pitch a tent.

So, yeah, all irony aside, a moment of silence for the scouts.

Whenever scouting comes up I am always fascinated to hear which of my male friends becomes kind of quiet and looks down a little sheepishly, finally admitting, "Yeah, well, I was an Eagle Scout". There's one in every crowd. And while they are not always that eager to admit it, they are always damn proud of the fact when it comes right down to it. As well they should be.

My scouting days were limited. I started Brownies in the second grade, and was pretty much done with it by the end of the third. My experience was marked by two specific incidents. One was when I insisted on doing cartwheels around the Autumn Lane Elementary school cafetorium while on a snack break that first year. I was working up into a cartwheel frenzy when one of my brown loafers flew off my foot, made a wide arc through the room, floated for a moment on a cloud of lunchroom french fry fumes, and finally came crashing down into one of the cafetorium windows.

The window didn't break.

But I was banned from doing cartwheels ever again because I could have "Hurt someone!" and from then on had a very close eye kept on me by our scout leaders. I think I became the special project for Mrs. Sawako, who became one more adult in a long line of teachers and principals who were going to take it upon themselves to teach me how to be a nice young lady.

It never really worked.

I stayed in the troop despite my subsequent Brownie lockdown, but finally snapped the next year when we were learning how to macrame. We were weaving bracelets, it was a basic stich, a simple process, I had finished a bracelet and was moving on to designing a macrame suspension bridge -- while some of the girls were still trying to master the first step.

After that evening, I decided I was too smart for it all and refused to attend any more meetings. I was a little bit full of myself.

I don't think they were all that disappointed to see me go.

6 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

Ahh Scouting ... though, while sad, I can't say I was terribly surprised by the ScoutMaster's accident.

Scouting is just wierd. I say this this after having been a Life Scout -- 7 badges from Eagle (I then came to my senses).

There is something honorable about the values that the BSA proclaim, but something oddly arrogant about how they act within the organization -- like we're the next line of national defense if the nation were to be invaded.

Us and our knotting skills.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

PS -- I sucked at knots, but I kicked ass at axe throwing and riflemanship.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Sandwich Repairman said...

Fuck the damn Boy Scouts and their Norman Rockwell WASP elitism. If I hadn't have quit them for praising Jesus in every "non-denominational prayer" we had to say all the time, I would have quit because of their bigoted heterosexism. They're no more than America's hitlerjugend.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

The only Bar Mitzvah I ever went to was for one of my fellow scout ... actually, I have to admit I only showed up for the party (I couldn't go to the ceremony because of a swim meet? I can't remember -- some school activity interfered).

Regardless, it actually got me out of my white homogeneous suburb. I don't really remember any hetero-sexism as a scout ... perhaps I was blind to it, but it was more about the activities and tasks at hand -- most of which were community oriented.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Sandwich Repairman said...

well they don't let gays join as kids or serve as leaders as adults. remember the NJ court case?? When the Supreme Court said the Boy Scouts had a right to choose their own membership and were free to exclude gays if they wanted? an egalitarian organization does not go all the way to the Supreme Court to fight for its right to keep gays out.

all the other Boy Scouts I knew were white Christians. the Bar and Bat Mitzvahs I attended were for kids I knew from elsewhere. BSA is really just a preparation to send boys into the military.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter