Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Do Not Pass Go

I woke up stressed out about my passport.

Sometime during the night it occurred to me that I hadn't seen my passport in a while. I didn't remember seeing it when I moved. I did remember at some time in the past year seeing it in a pile of *important papers*, picking it up, and putting it somewhere *safe*.

I could not for the life of me remember where that *safe place* was.

Shit.

After about twenty minutes of searching this morning I found the passport. It expired four months ago.

Now, usually people plan overseas trips months or years ahead of time. Seeing as I am not exactly a "normal person" I am now trying to make it possible to travel in the fall. Like, 4 or 8 weeks from now. Either right before or right after the wedding of the MB and the Stiles.

And anyway--it is always good to have an active passport readily available. Don't you think?

I had been following the passport trials of Jamy over at Grateful Dating and when I saw the date on the passport I thought. "I'll never be able to make this happen now. I screwed up."

But I looked around a bit online and it actually looks like I might be okay. Oddly--the link for "How to Renew a Passport" on the State Department website lead me to a totally blank page this morning, which was a bit disconcerting. Like--"Yeah, good luck with that renewal, sucka!!" Now it is coming up with pretty clear instructions on how to do it by mail (which, if done with expedited service, should be fine for me). And it sounds like they don't want me to go to the actual passport office unless I am traveling in the next ten days or so.

Does anyone know any reason why I should NOT go ahead with the expedited mail service at this point? Are they being realistic that it takes 2-3 weeks? I am planning to send it all off this afternoon, so if anyone has any great advice--feel free to comment below.

On a sentimental note, I will be a little sad to relinquish my last passport. It's my most official record (stamps and all) of the handful of life-altering overseas trips I took in my 20s--several of them solo. Do they send it back to you?


Update:

The gist I am getting from people's comments and emails is, the situation sucks, every stage of the passport issue/renewal is back-logged but I can't do anything about rushing the process until my own situation is truly dire. If I am down to ten days or so, I can go the office with a letter from our congressperson. But for now, I think I should just send it in with the expedited extra charge by overnight mail and then continue to track it until, again, the situation becomes dire.

Right?

4 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe you can keep your old passport. Some time ago, when I was renewing mine, I asked if I could keep my old ones as souvenirs, and I still have them. You may have to make that trip in person to do this, though. I requested this in person at the time. Good luck.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger SAS said...

They seem pretty clear about not wanting anyone with more than two weeks before travelling to go to the passport office. I feel like this is more important in DC (as opposed to say, North Carolina where I renewed my passport the last time). Maybe I'll at least call and ask.

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know much, but every day I go to get the mail at the post office box for work, and the guy I talk to who works there said they've been having a lot of trouble with passports. The rules have recently changed or been made more strict, and the state department or whoever issues the passports are actually behind - they weren't prepared for the change.
I know that's vague.
good luck!

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger Artist In Transition said...

I renewed my passport last year, paid the extra money for expedited service, and had it back in about a week and a half.

They will send you back your old passport, so you can keep your old stamps, and also have the delightful ten year old pictures of yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter