Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Revisions

You all know what I am going to write about today, don't you?

Like, about how the Holocaust didn't happen. Of course, silly.

What is so totally, like annoying, is the fact that I am working on this play right now ALL ABOUT THE HOLOCAUST. And now I come to find out, it never even happened. Sheesh.

In the play, a woman whose mother was a holocaust survivor visits Poland and tracks her mother's journey from her hometown to the first Ghetto where she was kept. During that time her father was shot by Nazis (oh reallllllly?). She then went to the second Ghetto where her mother was kept, working in a sweat shop run by a jew who was pushing child labor in order to save the lives of the children working there. Which apparently was totally unnecessary since the holocaust never happened.

She then goes to Auschwitz where her mother lived out the last half year of the war, sleeping in a barracks amongst the dead and dying, nearly destroyed by typhus herself, until she decided one day to pull herself out of the sickness and exhaustion, eat the tiny bits of lice infested food still being given to them, and drink the water swimming with disease and human waste. When she totally could have gone out and eaten like, a cheese sandwich. Because remember? The holocaust never happened.

Right.

Working on this play has made me a little bit obsessed with the question of what would have happened to me during the holocaust. One could surmise that had my father's father not left Russia when he did (I believe in the 1910s-1920s) he would have likely died and the generation chain that led to me would never have happened in the first place. So there's that.

But what about me? Would I have been Jew enough for Hitler?

Apparently I would have been a "Mischling of the first degree" (with two Jewish grandparents). If I was known to attend synagogue or was married to a jew I would have immediately been bumped up to "Jew". If not--I may have been okay--but would probably have been sterilized had everything gone as planned.

Not so bad, right?

P.S. The press is loving the pictures of the black hats at this conference. Which just goes to show--loonies come in all shapes and faiths. And people with a cause will lay with the strangest of bed-fellows to make a point.

P.P.S. Why is David Duke still alive? Can someone do something about that?

1 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Blogger The Dougressor said...

This post makes me think of several things. I, as a young lass in high school, was nearly obsessed with WWII and Nazis, etc. I'm not someone who reads alot and yet I read Mein Kampf...and still with all the research I did over the years about Nazi Germany and the Holocaust...it is still something I have a hard time wrapping my mind around...particularly in the sense of its perpetual relevance. It's never a tiresome topic...there are so many stories...and so few surivivors left...ugh.

All in all...its makes me want to shine a big, fat spotlight on Darfur. Oh it makes me so angry to think how little is being done as a result (in my cynical view) of the fact that they are in an area that has no great product to offer. No oil...so the lives being lost are less valuable. Argh.

That is my teenie rant. Sorry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter